• Author
  • #276654



    I wanted to write this post to help out those going aboutgetting married in Brazil. I’m from the U.S. and I just submitted all mydocuments to marry my partner in São Paulo today so I thought it would behelpful to write this post. I hope this can help make the process lessstressful than it is!
    -FYI. I know every cartì≥rio has slightly different rules on the properdocuments that are necessary for an estrangeiro to marry a brasileiro so pleasecheck with your local cartì≥rio!

    Items to get in yourcountry:
    Birth Certificate:This needsto be an authentic copy of your birth certificate. If you are from the U.S., goto your country clerk’s office and you will be able to get an authentic copyof your birthcertificate there. After getting your birth certificate you MUSTgo to the Brazilian consulate inyour city and get your birth certificate legalized.
    (The legalization process in Brazilian consulates can range from being done theday of to taking a full week so keep that in mind if you are in a rush)

    Cost:$20 USD forBirth Certificate + $20 USD for Legalization from Consulate

    Items to get inBrazil:

    Declaraìßão de EstadoCivil: This is a document that basically states that you are not married.You have two options here:

    1. To get it done in your home country


    2. To get it through your country’s consulate when inBrazil.

    I personally recommend for you to get it while in Brazil atyour country’s consulate because it will save you the cost and energy of havingto get it notarized and authenticated in your country, legalized by the Brazilianconsulate, translated to Portuguese, and registered at the Cartì≥rio deRegistros e Titulos.


    1. Cost:$20 toget it legalized by the Brazilian consulate + $20 USD to get it notarized +$14USD to get the notarization authenticated from the country clerk+ 77 reaisto translate your document officially+ 80 reais to register it at the Cartì≥riode Registros e Titulos = $54 USD + 157 Reais

    2. Get the Declaracão de Estado Civil from your country’s consulate

    Time:Done theday of and payable in cash (USD or Reais) or by credit card at the US consulate

    Cost: $50 USD

    Translateyour birth certificate with a tradutor juramentado.Unless you come from another Portuguese speaking country your birth certificateMUST be translated into Portuguese by anofficial translator. You can find a list of official English translatorsthrough this link: http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/pt/notarial.html

    (Make sure thetranslator stamps both your birth certificate and their translation!!)

    Time:Thetranslation was ready after a day.
    Cost:89 reais

    Registeryour birth certificate with the Cartì≥rio de Registros e Titulos. Takeyour birth certificate and translated copy to the Cartì≥rio de Registros eTitulos to register it.

    Time:I was ableto pick up my birth certificate after 3 hours.
    Cost:77 reais

    Finally you are ready to submit your documents! Take youroriginal birth certificate, translated copy (both with the stamp that they havebeen registered at the Cartì≥rio de Registros e Titulos), your Declaraìßão deEstado Civil, and your passport to your local Cartì≥rio where you and yourpartner will submit your documents and your partners (RN, CPF, and aauthenticated copy of their birth certificate) to mark your wedding day.

    The time frame from submitting your documents at the cartì≥rioto the big day is normally 30 days but I was able to get it cut down to 15 daysby talking to the cartì≥rio and asking for the earliest available date. (Jeitobrasileiro Smile)

    I hope this will help!

  • #277192


    The US Embassy list of sworn translators – actually at http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/pt/translators.html – gets updated every two decades or so, I hope. A few colleagues in loving memory are still there, while yours truly here didn’t manage to get listed, in spite of having had my credentials filed there in 2003.
    I try to keep up-to-date the links to all official online directories for sworn translators in Brazil under #4 at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/faqs.html . There you can also find explanations to most questions on such translations.
    Another option to find us is through http://traducaojuramentada.org/tradutores-juramentados-ingles/ for English – other options available there.

  • #28550

  • #308213


    Just a word to the wise… When you get you Declaração do Estado Civil, I don’t care if you’re single, widowed, or divorced. Tell them you’re single. Any marriage you had in another country, has no legal validity in Brasil. It’s just that that’s what is required of Brasilian nationals. So, they require it of anyone getting married. I was told in the cartorio that I should have said “single”, rather than divorced, and could have saved a lot of trouble and money. If you tell them you’re divorced, quite often, the people in the cartorio are going to want a copy of your previous marriage license(s), AND a copy of each of the divorce decree(s), that will also have to be translated (by a tradutor juramentado), and registered at another cartorio. I would direct you to the following document:


    That will tell you all you need in the state of São Paulo. You will not need anything else, in spite of what the cartorio personnel may tell you. Just hand them the print out of this page, and tell them that these documents are all that you have. If they give you a hard time, tell them you want to speak with the owner of the cartorio.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.