By Pedro Souza
May 1, 2016

So you have finally got a job in Brazil, applied for a work visa and picked it up. Now all you need to do If you want to work legally in Brazil is to get a CTPS (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social). This document allows you to be legally registered, and grants you access to labor rights. It also keeps track of your ages, employers and types of jobs that you have worked on.

To get a CTPS, you first need to go to an appointment at an MTE (Ministério do Trabalho e Emprego), which is the Brazilian Work Ministry. To do that, you should first look for the nearest branch in the following website: http://saa.mte.gov.br/default.aspx.

Once you have set up an appointment, you should gather all the documents necessary. You will need to bring your passport, two recent colored 3 cm X 4 cm photos of you with white background, a copy or printed version of your CPF card, a proof of residence such as a water or electricity bill, a copy and your original CIE (Cédula de Identidade de Estrangeiros), two copies of the publication in the “Diário Oficial da União” showing that the MTE branch in Brasília has authorized you get a work visa and the SINCRE (Sistema Nacional de Cadastramento de registro de Estrangeiros) printout that was given to you when you registered at the Federal Police. You should also bring your work contract in case they ask for it, although it is not stated in the MTE website.

Once you have all the necessary documents gathered, you should present them to the MTE during the appointment you have scheduled. At the end of the process, you will be given a protocol that notifies when you can return and pick up your CTPS. When the time comes, all you need to do is return to the MTE and pick it up. Now that you have your CTPS in hands, you are finally allowed to legally work in Brazil. Congratulations and good luck!

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply