URL: http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=970
Printed Date: 24 October 2014 at 10:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Song in Portuguese?
Posted By: Russell
Subject: Favourite Song in Portuguese?
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:17
Hi folks,

Just curious as to what your favourite song(s) are in Portuguese.

I like a song called So Com Voce, by The Thievery Corporation. Often there songs are in French, but this is the only one I've spotted so far that's in Portuguese.

I also like the David Bowie tracks rewritten by Seu Jorge on the The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou soundtrack.

So what are your favourites?

Replies:
Posted By: Chronos
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:09
russell would you mind sending me some songs in portuguese? :)

Posted By: limbojimbo
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:39
Velha Infancia - Tribalistas

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:48

Je Sai Namorar - tribalista

and girl from ipanima!

Posted By: zecapagodinho
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:53

C'mon Russell, that track has 3 words in it! Nevertheless its a goody.

okay here's mine:

Preta Pretinha - Novos Baianos
Deixa a vida me levar - Zeca Pagodinho
Verdade - Zeca Pagodinho
Bargaço da Laranga - Zeca P & Jovelina
Bebadosamba - Paulinha da Viola
Que Pena - Jorge Ben Jor
Mas Qu Nada - Jorge Ben Jor
Ninguem Vai Tirar Voce de Mim - Roberto Carlos (singer not footballer)
Eu Te Amo - Roberto Carlos
Na Ha Dinheiro Que Pague - Roberto Carlos
Trem Das Onze - Not sure who the original artist is.
Malandro - Jorge Aragão
Coisinha do Pai - Jorge Aragão
Moleque Atrevido- Jorge Aragão
Casa de Bamba - Martinho da Vila
Devar Devagarinho - Martinho da Vila
Most of Marisa Monte, Caetano Veloso & Bossa, some Alcione, Chico  Buarque, Ivete, Timbalada.....

Just whilst on the subject of music, does anyone like Jeito Moleque, Calypso, As Leaos or say some Tati Quebra Barraco?

I'm taking Cavaquinho classes at the moe. Does anyone play a brazilian instrument out there?

Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 12:41
Originally posted by zecapagodinho zecapagodinho wrote:

C'mon Russell, that track has 3 words in it! Nevertheless its a goody.

I can't find the lyrics, but it's definitely more than 3 words

I like it more for the style, which is gorgeous. I heard one Thievery Corporation track playing an uber-chic club a few months back, but I would love to find a club that plays more of their tracks.

okay here's mine:

Thanks, I'll check 'em out...

Just whilst on the subject of music, does anyone like Jeito Moleque, Calypso, As Leaos or say some Tati Quebra Barraco?

Sorry, never heard of 'em...

I'm taking Cavaquinho classes at the moe. Does anyone play a brazilian instrument out there?

Wow! Good for you.

I wanted to take up piano lessons again, so nothing very Brazilian unfortunately. My creative side has been stifled for a few years, as I used to play piano and cello a decade or so ago. I need to get back into it, more so the piano.

Anyone know any good piano teachers?

Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 15:52
Originally posted by Russell Russell wrote:

I heard one Thievery Corporation track playing an uber-chic club a few months back, but I would love to find a club that plays more of their tracks.

Thievery is one awesome outfit. You said hear them live. They both DJ and sometimes do live PA. Re: club that plays good lounge music, don't know but if you find one, let me know.

Anyone know any good piano teachers?

This dreadlocked cavaco teacher plays almost anything. I will ask him as he kept on trying to explain various aspects of music theory with the piano keys as an example.

Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 15:53

Originally posted by zecapagodinhoYou <FONT color=#ff0000><U>said </U></FONT>hear them live. [/QUOTE zecapagodinhoYou said hear them live. [/QUOTE wrote:

SHOULD

SHOULD

Posted By: Denise
Date Posted: 23 March 2006 at 21:17

I know a piano teacher... but what kind of music? Classical, jazz?....

As you're a music lover... I don't know if you've watched "Calle 54", kind of a documentary/movie with some musicians...

Posted By: Rick
Date Posted: 24 March 2006 at 02:10
Russell, if you like So Com Voce, by the Thievery Corporation which was sung by Bebel Gilberto (yes, the daughter of Joao Gilberto and Miucha) then you'll probably like Aganjú or Cada Beijo (2 versions of this at least, one of which is a mix by the Thievery Corporation) as well!

Date Posted: 24 March 2006 at 15:12

Thievery is one awesome outfit. You said hear them live. They both DJ and sometimes do live PA.

Aw, wish I had. I'm not sure if they've ever come here, but I missed Faithless' and other recent tours through being here.

Re: club that plays good lounge music, don't know but if you find one, let me know.

I would just like to find a club that's a bit more modern full stop. A lot of those I've gone to seem stuck in the 80s. All fun 'n stuff, but gets a bit tedious.

I'd like a range with something like Thievery, and Jamiroquai, through to dancier music like Faithless, and heavier types like Prodigy and Smashing Pumpkins.

It's a shame that no-one's setup a web site where you can enter favourite music and find out which clubs play it.

This dreadlocked cavaco teacher plays almost anything. I will ask him as he kept on trying to explain various aspects of music theory with the piano keys as an example.

Thanks Zeca

Originally posted by Denise Denise wrote:

I know a piano teacher... but what kind of music? Classical, jazz?....

I fancy a bit of a mix. Both classical and modern. I need a huge revision though, I've not played in more than 15 years, I just really want to get back to music in some way other than just listening

Originally posted by Denise Denise wrote:

As you're a music lover... I don't know if you've watched "Calle 54", kind of a documentary/movie with some musicians...

No, not seen that. I'll keep an eye out at Blockbuster. Thanks!

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Russell, if you like So Com Voce, by the Thievery Corporation which was sung by Bebel Gilberto (yes, the daughter of Joao Gilberto and Miucha) then you'll probably like Aganjú or Cada Beijo (2 versions of this at least, one of which is a mix by the Thievery Corporation) as well!

Thanks for the tips Rick, I'll have a hunt for them

Posted By: tamashin
Date Posted: 26 March 2006 at 04:20
Mal acostumado by Araketu  gets everyone dancing does that one!

Posted By: john.jane
Date Posted: 17 March 2007 at 19:13
Another good post that needs to be refreshed:

Zeca Baleiro - Quase Nada
Zeca Baleiro - Proibida Pra Mim
Tim Maia - azul da cor do mar
Sepultura - Refuse Resist (though in english)
Fagner - Borbulhas De Amor

Not in that order - to name but a few...

Posted By: Spanish_tony
Date Posted: 18 March 2007 at 16:04
Quem de nos dois - Ana Carolina

And Ivete Sangalo has the voice of a mulherao on the few songs I've heard her (I'm thinking of acoustic version of 'Full Gas')

-------------
We Fight/We Love

Posted By: Bahiana77
Date Posted: 18 March 2007 at 22:36

A Vida Vai Melhorar, sung by Martinho da Vila, when I really need to believe it will.

A Gente Se Entrega and Bate O by Rio Negro e Solimões, which I learned to dance forro to, heard in the backyard of my friend's house in the country on a warm summer night with the party going until 3a.m. and everybody dropping where they stand--only to continue the next day.
And more forro by Luiz Caldes.

Anything, anytime, anywhere by Margareth Menezes--but notable perhaps in something like Egito, during which she may speak movingly about pride in her Bahian heritage.

Yelé Congo, an oldie by Ara Ketu.

Old  (1940s/50s) sambas with Candeia and Nelson Cavaquinho like Sem Ilusão or Não É Só Você-- (and other older sambistas like Bola Sete) or those of Paulinho da Viola (Na Pagode De Vava) or Bezzera da Silva......

Malandro Sofrador by Ary Barroso.

Most anything the Minister of Culture deigns to sing this coming Wednesday night at the show I'm going to!

...to name a few...and not necessarily in that order....

Posted By: Lauren
Date Posted: 19 March 2007 at 09:31

I LOVE Fulgas by Ivete Sangalo;its the only Brazilian song that I have managed to learn all of the words to!

I also like Claudio Zolli, Ed Motta and O Rappa but I'm not sure of any titles

Date Posted: 19 March 2007 at 09:50
I usually google the lyrics (name of song "+ letras" works for me) otherwise I wouldn't know any of the words.

Bahiana, I'll certainly be investigating some of the songs you put there, I've got one song by Magareth Menezes, but I'm not really into the party music (or rather the fiancee prohibits me going to any forro concerts/nights while I'm waiting here in London)

-------------
We Fight/We Love

Posted By: vermelhinha
Date Posted: 03 April 2007 at 19:00

There are so many, but a few of my favorites are:

Preciso me Encontrar-Candeia

Capoeira do Brasil/Magalenha-Sergio Mendes version

Chiclete com Banana-Gilberto Gil

Esperando na Janela - Gilberto Gil

Rap Glamurosa - MC Marinho (for purely silly and nostalgic reasons, plus it's great for learning some of the slang  ).

Date Posted: 06 April 2007 at 05:50
Bahiana,

I'm listening to Rio Negro e Solimões It's sounds quite country! No-one listens to this kind of music in the UK! 

-------------
We Fight/We Love

Posted By: Bahiana77
Date Posted: 06 April 2007 at 12:25

Originally posted by Spanish_tony Spanish_tony wrote:

Bahiana,I'm listening to Rio Negro e Solimões It's sounds quite country! No-one listens to this kind of music in the UK! 

Anthony- 
Sertaneja (from the 'sertoes', the inland ranching regions) is, essentially, Brazilian country. Country has a stereotypically poor, uneducated, southern following in the U.S. And in fact,
I don't listen to country in the U.S., U.K. or anywhere else --except that around all my "cowboy" or wanna-be friends from Minas, Rondonia, Mato Grosso, etc, I can't get away from it  and have actually gotten to like some of it. It's fun to dance to!

Rio Negro e Solimoes is my favorite group, very lively. Most of the other duos (they tend to have 'matching' names like Gian & Giovanni , Leandro & Leonardo, Edson & Hudson, as well as Chitaozinho & Xororo, Bruno & Marone or Zeze di Camargo & Luciano, about whom the film Os Dois Filhos do Francisco was made), I find too sappy.

And you wouldn't believe how popular the rodeio is here. The Brazilian-organized bull riding championship, starting again at the end of April, draws thousands of Brazilians (and others) here outside a major northeastern American city famous for its universities.
Remember all the scenes in the storyline for the novela America that were set at the rodeio in Barreiras? Why? Because it's so popular. (One of the big money winners in actuality is from the city of Salvador of all places.) For me this is all just a big circle in life, since I started out as a teenager riding barrel racing horses just outside New York City.

Posted By: Britney00
Date Posted: 06 April 2007 at 12:54
So Hoje- Jota Quest

Posted By: RioLondoner
Date Posted: 10 April 2007 at 15:56
For me it has to be Chico Buarque's 'Vai Passar'. Shirley Valentine said that she wanted to drink the wine in the country where the grape was grown (in her case Greece,) and in a similar way, the first time I heard Vai Passar I simply knew that I had to go to the country where this music was from. I remember the first time very well. I was on my way home from a Brasilian friend's house and I was standing on a platform at Clapham Junction Station. My friend had lent me this Chico Buarque CD and I started listening to it on the platform. This was I think my 'Brasilian Epiphany' moment - it was a defining moment in my history. It might sound like romantic nonsense to some, but it's the truth. Every time I return to Brasil I have a 'ok slightly Rainman' ritual that VP has to be the first song I play as soon as I arrive in the country. 

-------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
www.ianpoole.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk