Forum Description: Surviving in Brazil
URL: http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1967
Printed Date: 01 October 2014 at 15:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Brazilian Wine
Posted By: maddog
Subject: Brazilian Wine
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 01:08

Wine in Brazil seems relatively expensive (especially compared to beer or spirits) and I have yet to find a great tasting Brazilian wine at a decent price. While I appreciate that taste is personal I find the quality of wines from Argentina or Chile much better for similar prices.

Can anyone recommend some good Brazilain wines (white or red) around the 20  - 30 Reais price range?

Replies:
Posted By: MonicaB
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 01:20

Hi,

Brazil has not a huge tradition on wine (producing or drinking). Of course you will find people that like (and drink if they can afford) wine, mainly in the big cities, but if you consider the country as a whole... beer and spirits are big.

I don't like the Brazilian wine, neither the Chilean, Argentinean, American (have been wine tasting in Napa valley wineries and could not find a single one to my taste)...my favourite ones are the French.... I am not an expert, so it's just my opinion purely based on my personal taste.

It was very nice to buy good quality wine quite cheap in England. But I know we do not get that in Brazil. Wine in HKG is also expensive, a reasonably nice one will not be less than R$ 60. (not HKG produce of course, although I have already heard the French are starting some wineries in mainland China)

-------------
** There is more to life than increasing its speed **    Mohandas Gandhi   

Posted By: maarten
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 01:57

I agree with the fact that wines from Argentina and Chile are generally better. But there are quite good Brazilian wines too.

The price range you state is already upper class, I think. I prefer lower prices with an acceptable quality, say medium class.

Best in this range is in my opinion Forrestier. It comes as Cabernet, Riesling and Sauvignon blanc (around R$15). A bit less is Almaden (choice of Cabernet, Merlot, Riesling and Gewuertstraminer) (around R$12) and the cheapest, still good for "daily use" is Saint Germain (assemblage, red and white) for around R$9.

Posted By: Russell
Date Posted: 09 November 2006 at 11:17
Thanks for the tips Maarten! I'll keep an eye out for these...

Posted By: Riodog66
Date Posted: 12 November 2006 at 22:03
By far Saint Germain (assemblage, red and white) for around R$9 as noted by Maarten is the best buy.  St. Germain Merlot is my favorite for drinking a glass everyday.  Brazilians, in general, don't like seco (dry) wines, but mostly suave or sweet. 

-------------
Rio Dog 66 Living in Joao Pessoa

Posted By: zappa
Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 21:15
So i'm not the only one with a wine problem in Brasil. After a little search,
i found two brazilian wines worth drinking: MIOLO and TERRA NOVA.
They're not super high class wines, but affordable and tasty (about 15 to
20 reais).
My other problem is cheese.... (although Minas is doing a good job)

But this is nothing compared to the brazilian tings I have to miss when I
am in Belgium.

Posted By: Cary
Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 00:15

Brazilian wines are known by the locals as "ox blood".  Drink at your displeasure.

Posted By: Russell
Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 08:43
Well there's actually a brand known as "Ox blood" so I assume it's more tongue in cheek. It's actually not so awful, in that at least it doesn't burn your throat. It's just very sweet, but not a real wine in that sense.

Posted By: MonicaB
Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 09:13
Ha ha ha Sangue the Boi as Russel said is a brand of very cheap "wine". Actually to call it wine is a little bit far fetched... I would call a beverage made of a mix of food coloring, sugar and alcohol.

-------------
** There is more to life than increasing its speed **    Mohandas Gandhi   

Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 23:02

Well there's actually a brand known as "Ox blood"

Thanks Russell... I missed the reference on this. 

Posted By: miguel
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 02:01
While clearly playing second-fiddle to Chile and Argentina, Brazilīs wine industry has made undeniable progress over the last few years and has a few - but not many - very good niche wineries.  

I have had the opportunity to visit its wine region a few times and most of its wineries, and definite stand-outs in my book are Marson, Valduga, Aurora, Dom Candido, and Salton, particularly the Cabernet Sauvignons and Merlots.  The price range is quite reasonable, but as niche wineries can be difficult to spot in some wine stores or certainly supermarkets.

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a decent white  here; personally I donīt like Chardonays (way too sweet for my taste) and the Brazil variety leaves a lot to be desired.  However, Salton has an excellent Sauvignon Blanc.

I didnīt particularly take to the Miolo wines, and on a recent visit there finally found out why - it is the only Brazil winery which I visited which does not harvest all of its own grapes, it purchases second-hand grapes from other wineries to meet ambitious production targets, making quality control and consistency somewhat difficult.  

In the end of course itīs all a matter of personal taste.   Before dismissing Brazil wines see if your neighborhood  wine store offers a wine tasting of any or all of its stock.

Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 07:54
Wow!  A Brazilian wine industry marketing agent honors our site with this spin!!!  Taste Brasilian wines and decide for yourself, but otherwise don't believe this hype.  For myself, the best bet from here is always a Chandon Brut.

Posted By: miguel
Date Posted: 06 December 2006 at 12:08
Thanks dude for the accreditation, but in fact a wine lover pleasantly surprised by a few local wineries!  As this thread indicates, a number of us site members have actually gone Brazilian & found  some local wines that we enjoy.

Posted By: brazilliz
Date Posted: 13 December 2006 at 16:04

Does anyone know if there are any Zinfadel wines in Brazil?

-------------
brazilliz

Posted By: Airlegs
Date Posted: 29 January 2007 at 12:24

I've never seen a Brasilian Zinfandel.  I do recommend a Brasilian cabernet called Rio Sol, it's from Pernambuco, in the NE.  It's quite nice too.  I like it MUCH better than Miolo.  http://www.gestaodoluxo.com.br/segmentacao/materia_19.htm - http://www.gestaodoluxo.com.br/segmentacao/materia_19.htm

I also agree that Chandon has great sparkling wines, YUM.

Posted By: Wdem
Date Posted: 30 January 2007 at 00:37
You get a nice bottle of cachaca for R$3.  Seriously though, I gave a friend of mine that is a serious wine drinker (in volume anyway) in the US a bottle of supermarket R$10 Baron de Lantier Cabernet Sauvignon that she said was one of the best wines she ever had.

Posted By: AkuTyger
Date Posted: 30 January 2007 at 19:34
My husband calls Brasilian wine "glorified grape juice" which is exactly what it tastes like to me.

Date Posted: 31 January 2007 at 01:01
Please, enjoy a nice bottle of the local cachaca before spending more for the aweful vino made here in Brasil.  Rio Sul might be a noticable exception... it was actually drinkable when I tested it recently. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk