Forum Description: General questions about Brazil
URL: http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1206
Printed Date: 19 December 2014 at 18:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How safe is walking in Rio?
Posted By: EarlC
Subject: How safe is walking in Rio?
Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 11:59

Which parts of Rio are safest for pedestrians? I'm not so concerned about getting run over, I mean as far as getting mugged or threatened by criminals or punks.

I've seen T.V. shows that would make me very leery of walking (at least w/o an armed bodyguard) in some areas of the city, but I'm not sure how accurate those shows are. I asked a guy from Rio about that a long time ago and he said, "Aaahhh, it's propaganda," I would assume that some places would be a lot safer than others. I wouldn't be walking near a favela anyway,

Here in the U.S., at least the places I've lived, they make life dangerous for us pedestrians in a different way... 6-Lane roads & enormous parking-lots. More than once I've come within an eyelash of getting run over.

Thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: Quem
Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 14:12

Best area to walk around in Rio is in Leblon and Ipanema - far better than Copacabana which has lots of hookers and low-lifes hanging around. If you get tired of beautiful people and beaches, you might also spend a day walking around Centro (downtown) and looking at old buildings, churches, etc - any tourist map will tell you where they are.

hmmm... so you've nearly been run-over as a pedestrian in the USA... Would you mind if I took out a life insurance policy on you  before you come to Rio (with me as the sole benificiary)?

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 22:18

Yeh lots of friends of mine have been mugged in copacobana !

Also go on satuarday as they bring in bus loads of police to protect the tourists then!

Date Posted: 18 May 2006 at 14:37

Thanks for the advice. I had been reading about Leblon and thought it seemed nice. Is housing expensive there, vs. other areas of Rio?

I don't know too much about Ipanema. Is it expensive?

If you get tired of beautiful people and beaches, you might also spend a day walking around Centro (downtown) and looking at old buildings, churches, etc - any tourist map will tell you where they are.

After living inland for so long, I'd never get tired of beaches - especially warm ones!!  

Posted By: billrio
Date Posted: 19 May 2006 at 02:45
Housing in Leblon is VERY expensive! I have lived in Rio for years, and never had a problem. When I go out, I don't carry a watch, any sort of jewels (rings, etc.) Hell, sometimes I think the "pivetes" want to give ME moneyī' cause I look so poor!

Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 23:33
Ipanema is nicer cos Leblon is very brazilian and quieter.  If I lived in Rio I would definatly carry a gun for protection. I friend of mine was sent there on a business conference and out of 100 people 70 got mugged!!

Posted By: santoslad
Date Posted: 13 June 2006 at 20:35
rio de janeiro is dangerous for brazilians from other states like sao paulo the carioca people are quite prejudiced i found against us paulistas but thats ok we dont like them heere in sao paulo  rio is more dangerous than sao paulo thats for sure

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 00:11
O.k.- Who woke up "santoslad again?

Posted By: tamashin
Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 00:50

Originally posted by billrio billrio wrote:

O.k.- Who woke up "santoslad again?

Posted By: Kala
Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:41
I personally like Barra da Tijuca very much as itīs not that touristic.   Just donīt really like that huge mall on Av. America where we got lost in the carpark   Stayed twice in Ipanema with a friend and must say that we walked everywhere ... even in the night.  My husband & I even went for a stroll along the beach at night with just shorts & t-shirts and without shoes ... maybe we look too poor and the rich ones just kind of avoided us

-------------
Kala

Date Posted: 24 June 2006 at 12:37

Thanks.

Would S.P. be safer for pedestrians, than Rio? And is it expensive to live near a subway station in S.P.?

Also: after the recent attacks in S.P., I had been thinking that Rio might be safer, but from what I've read on these boards (and some other statistics), it looks like S.P. might be safer after all. What do you think?

Thanks again.

Posted By: Russell
Date Posted: 24 June 2006 at 12:51
In terms of general safety, it's a really hard thing to be specific about, as statistics would be dependent on the area within either of the two cities, particularly with SP which is so vast. If statistics even exist...

As a pedestrian I've never felt threatened in SP, but I've never walked frequently in what are classed as dangerous areas. Even with Brazilians the attitude varies on what is classed as a bad area (just like anywhere else I suppose).

I live near a subway station in SP, we specifically moved near one as I don't have a driving license here. Our apartment is not expensive (in relative terms). Because the Metro stations are spread right across the city there are expensive areas and not so expensive areas near stations. In fact a lot of the expensive areas aren't served by the Metro (Moema up north to Vila Madalena, where you are served by the Metro) but then if you can afford to live there, chances are you have a car.

There are some basic safety tips you can follow which I'm sure will help reduce the chance of being robbed, like in any metropolis. Most of these are common sense, but I noticed recently Gringoes.com reiterates them under their Useful Info section.

Date Posted: 24 June 2006 at 12:57

Thanks, Russell.

That's true... I've lived in what would be considered some pretty dangerous cities in the U.S., but I knew which areas to avoid (and in some cities, there were a lot of such areas) and had very few problems.

Also, I've read that S.P. isn't as humid as northern Brasil. Is that true? Thanks in advance.

Date Posted: 24 June 2006 at 18:03
I have a small weather station, and I've seen the humidity jump all over the shop. Even so, it doesn't have that sticky heat that I remember so well from the UK which is attributed to humidity.

Posted By: limbojimbo
Date Posted: 26 June 2006 at 16:00
Can anyone suggest some funky things to do during 48 hours in Rio? I'm going with my Mum, who is going to want to do some of the touristy stuff, but are there any other tips from people who know the place well?

Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 08:55
I'm surprised to see no-one else reply. My visit there was very rapid and I just did the touristy stuff (pao de acucar, redentor and copacabana). All of these have to be done really, unless you're after an alternative type of trip.

Posted By: DUNGA
Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 10:19

Well I would take my ‘mum’ to tea downtown at http://www.confeitariacolombo.com.br/ - the Confeitaria Colombo , (17:00hrs,) and maybe stay at the Hotel Gloria. But I don’t know if that qualifies as ‘funky’, a word which conjures up images of a Rio I don’t associate with my mother...Oh, and maybe the schooner tour out of Marina Gloria; cool, best views...

Perhaps http://www.carmenmiranda.net/about/index.php - the Carmen Miranda Museum qualifies...

Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 11:03

I have a small weather station, and I've seen the humidity jump all over the shop. Even so, it doesn't have that sticky heat that I remember so well from the UK which is attributed to humidity.

The only time I've been in England was in Oct. (of '03), but I didn't think it got that humid there in the summer.

Are there any affordable places in S.P. that would be reasonably safe for pedestrians? Could you recommend any areas? Thanks.

Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 11:16
Depends what you mean by affordable. I certainly feel safe where I am in Saude, but I don't go out walking around very late at night. The classic gringo haunts, some mentioned before, are Jardims, Moema, Pinheiros, Itaim and Vila Madalena. These are more expensive areas though.

In all these areas there are huge variations in price, but at a guess you're looking at around R$250-300,000 at the low end for a basic but reasonable apartment.

Date Posted: 27 June 2006 at 17:33

Thanks for the recommendations.

Are these areas safer or more affordable than comparable areas of Rio (if such areas even exist)?

Interesting... it seems like no one likes both Rio & S.P. They love one & hate the other... or some people hate both, & would prefer living in the N.E., but move there for jobs.

Posted By: finance
Date Posted: 20 August 2006 at 04:49
Earl:

Glad you've picked up on it. There is for sure a love/hate sentiment between Cariocas (prople from Rio) and Paulistanos (from SP). At times, it's actualy a bit funny.

But what you've read are good info about both places. They are very similar as far as safety and cost of living. If you pick a decent area in SP(as the ones described by Russ above), you'll be fine, as long as you follow the typical common sense rules of safety. The same would apply in Rio.

As far as chosing one over the other, some people like SP for the night life, the cosmopolitan way of life and the higher paycheck.
Others like Rio because of the beaches, the year-long warm weather and the more relaxed lifestyle...

F.

Posted By: gringomike
Date Posted: 03 September 2006 at 00:38
Be careful everywhere you go.  Mind your behavior and surroundings.  Don't act like a tourist (as best as you can) and don't wear any jewelry/watch and don't keep your money in one spot.  My wife just returned and since I wasn't along she took a lot of taxis.  In talking to the drivers, the one place they all liked driving was Laranjeiras.  That is near where Corcovado is.  Near the beaches, if you're street smart, you'll definitely see thieves.  More on Copacabana than Ipanema.   

-------------
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

- Ronald Reagan

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:11
i dislike rio de janeiro its a trap of a sort  everything is more expensive than in sampa and most people are not genuine but con artists

Posted By: sdrio
Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:34
Originally posted by santoslad santoslad wrote:

i dislike rio de janeiro its a trap of a sort  everything is more expensive than in sampa and most people are not genuine but con artists

So how long have you lived in Rio?

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:44
lived there many moons ago and was recently jus there   hadnt improved one bit if anything its even worse   people are not very nice to other brazilians from other states especially mwe being paulista

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:52

lived there many moons ago and was recently jus there   hadnt improved one bit if anything its even worse   people are not very nice to other brazilians from other states especially mwe being paulista

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:54
well it is true we dont like each other much

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:54

Rio is way more dangerous than Sao Paulo. 

In Sao Paulo you can walk around most places, in rio if you walk around you will get mugged.

Also in Sao Paulo people are nice to foreigners, in Rio they just rob them.  Even the hookers rip you off and ask for $100 (thats US!)

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:56
Originally posted by Rupert Rupert wrote:

Rio is way more dangerous than Sao Paulo. 

In Sao Paulo you can walk around most places, in rio if you walk around you will get mugged.

Also in Sao Paulo people are nice to foreigners, in Rio they just rob them.  Even the hookers rip you off and ask for $100 (thats US!)

You guys are pretty funny.

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 17:58
no we guys are pretty clued up as to how bad rio de janeiro is my freind !

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:01

no we guys are pretty clued up as to how bad rio de janeiro is my freind !

So, how many times have you been mugged in Rio?

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:04
i am brazilian but i can tell you i have been threatened and insulted and physically and verbally attacked many times in that rat hole of a city  cidade maaivilhosa  my a#$e

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:06
rio de janeiro is a horrid place to live if you are a poor brazilian from outside the city

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:18

i am brazilian but i can tell you i have been threatened and insulted and physically and verbally attacked many times in that rat hole of a city  cidade maaivilhosa  my a#$e

Where's that can of troll repellant I had. Must be back here somewhere . . . .

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:29

I went and stayed in a fancy hotel in rio and asked where was safe and the girl said no where!

Plus loads of my friends were in copacobana looking for "fun" and they got mugged too!!

Even walking on Ipaniema all the guards for the apartments have guns and on Sat + Sun they bring down about 500 cops to try and keep it safe.  For the rest of the week its put your life on the line time:)

Date Posted: 26 September 2006 at 18:55
Originally posted by Rupert Rupert wrote:

I went and stayed in a fancy hotel in rio and asked where was safe and the girl said no where!

Plus loads of my friends were in copacobana looking for "fun" and they got mugged too!!

Even walking on Ipaniema all the guards for the apartments have guns and on Sat + Sun they bring down about 500 cops to try and keep it safe.  For the rest of the week its put your life on the line time:)

Well I heard Sao Paulo has herds of wild buffalos roaming the streets. Everyone I know who has ever been there has been caught in a stampede. Every single one - and I know 11,000 people who have been to Sao Paulo. Maybe even more.

Date Posted: 30 September 2006 at 21:19
Well I live in SP and I can tell you there are definitely no wild buffalo roaming the streets. The odd horse and plenty of dogs though

What is it with this Paulista / Carioca divide?...

I've only seen it from the Paulista side, but there's this definite "look down the nose" at Cariocas.

I've only spent a week in Rio personally, and it's not somewhere I'd be in a rush to return to. I can only think I missed the good parts so I'll need an expert guide next time, if I ever return.

Date Posted: 01 October 2006 at 00:08
It is EXACTLY the same thing in the US. Los Angeles (big orange) vs. New Yorkers (big apple). Angelenos don't like to work, just go to the beach, party, and live in their fantasy "film" world. New Yorkers on the other hand only know how to work and take life very seriously, indeed! Cariocas don't like to work, just go to the beach, party and live in their "samba" carnaval world. Paulistas on the other hand only know how to work, have no carnaval or beaches and take life very seriously indeed

Date Posted: 01 October 2006 at 09:56
Stereotypes, they're great

Posted By: tamashin
Date Posted: 01 October 2006 at 16:39
[! Cariocas don't like to work, just go to the beach, party and live in their "samba" carnaval world. Paulistas on the other hand only know how to work, have no carnaval or beaches and take life very seriously indeed[/QUOTE] There are Cariocas and Cariocas. My own experience of working with Cariocas in the Baixada is that they work very hard, certainly the ones I worked with. Getting up early to work two jobs in the city staying for six days to return at the weekend. Its a very poor stereotype and one that is difficult to put down. But on reflection, I dont think the people I know really care as they are too busy making a living.

Posted By: cariocaguy
Date Posted: 06 November 2006 at 00:24

rio de janeiro is a horrid place to live if you are a poor brazilian from outside the city

Is that why so many of them go there to live?

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 15:59
carioca your city is aparhteid writ large

Posted By: supermary
Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 16:38

Completely ignoring any other post and writing just about the original question, that titles the thread...

I've never not felt safe walking in Rio, or São Paulo for that matter. I think it's partly a question of avoiding the obviously dodgy places and being reasonable about stuff... (not walking alone at wee hours of the night in extremely empty places, not flashing gold, not letting dollars fall out of your back pocket when you go for a walk... ) :P

I'm sure sh*t happens regardless though, so in the end, I really don't know how to answer that question in an exact way.

-------------
~Mary*Anne~
Make a positive change in the world and then Take It Global.

Posted By: BlackBolt
Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 16:51

The safest places to walk in Rio are through Urca, where there is a beautiful seaside trail through a bit of the Atlantic rainforest (Mata Atlantica) as well as a trail down guanabara bay. Urca very safe because the Army and Navy bases and training grounds are in Urca.I also like walking the praia de Botofogo to praia de Flamengo trail, which is the other side of guanabara bay from Urca. Itīs really pretty at dusk, and quite safe. You can also walk up to the top of Corcovado from Larenjeiras, which is a very nice climb.

I donīt like walking in Copacabana. Pedastrians are basically either predators or prey (espeically gringoes). Ipanema is a lot less stressful, aside from the occaissonal gunfight between police and drug dealers, which usually occurs at night.

The most dangerous city, as far as fatalities are concerned, in Brazil is once again, Vitoria, ES.

Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 17:17
i tend to agree with the above rio is safe in urca  praia vermenlha region but copacabana is full of vipers and the places reaks of apartheid worse than in S.A

Posted By: BlackBolt
Date Posted: 22 November 2006 at 20:33

The problem with Copacabana isnīt arparthied. Pretty much every who lives there is lower-middle class or working class. There arenīt any "nice" parts, like there are in Ipanema or Leblon. The problem is that it is the Times Square of Brazil, a la Robert DeNiro in "Taxi Driver". A lot of people come here for cheap sex, illegal drugs, bars, fast money, easy pickings, or because they have nothing better to do. Trying to take money from gringoes is like fishing on a lazy summer day, something to help pass the time, and hey, you might catch something. I donīt recommend Copacabana as a good way to experience the beauty of Rio.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk