Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Learning Portuguese
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Song in Portuguese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by zecapagodinho zecapagodinho wrote:

Thievery is one awesome outfit. You said hear them live. They both DJ and sometimes do live PA.

Aw, wish I had. I'm not sure if they've ever come here, but I missed Faithless' and other recent tours through being here.

Originally posted by zecapagodinho zecapagodinho wrote:

Re: club that plays good lounge music, don't know but if you find one, let me know.

I would just like to find a club that's a bit more modern full stop. A lot of those I've gone to seem stuck in the 80s. All fun 'n stuff, but gets a bit tedious.

I'd like a range with something like Thievery, and Jamiroquai, through to dancier music like Faithless, and heavier types like Prodigy and Smashing Pumpkins.

It's a shame that no-one's setup a web site where you can enter favourite music and find out which clubs play it.

Originally posted by Russell Russell wrote:

This dreadlocked cavaco teacher plays almost anything. I will ask him as he kept on trying to explain various aspects of music theory with the piano keys as an example.

Thanks Zeca

Originally posted by Denise Denise wrote:

I know a piano teacher... but what kind of music? Classical, jazz?....

I fancy a bit of a mix. Both classical and modern. I need a huge revision though, I've not played in more than 15 years, I just really want to get back to music in some way other than just listening

Originally posted by Denise Denise wrote:

As you're a music lover... I don't know if you've watched "Calle 54", kind of a documentary/movie with some musicians...

No, not seen that. I'll keep an eye out at Blockbuster. Thanks!

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Russell, if you like So Com Voce, by the Thievery Corporation which was sung by Bebel Gilberto (yes, the daughter of Joao Gilberto and Miucha) then you'll probably like Aganjú or Cada Beijo (2 versions of this at least, one of which is a mix by the Thievery Corporation) as well!

Thanks for the tips Rick, I'll have a hunt for them
Sponsored Links

tamashin View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2006 at 04:20
Mal acostumado by Araketu  gets everyone dancing does that one!
john.jane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john.jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 19:13
Another good post that needs to be refreshed:

Zeca Baleiro - Quase Nada
Zeca Baleiro - Proibida Pra Mim
Tim Maia - azul da cor do mar
Sepultura - Refuse Resist (though in english)
Fagner - Borbulhas De Amor

Not in that order - to name but a few...

Edited by john.jane
Spanish_tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanish_tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 16:04
Quem de nos dois - Ana Carolina

And Ivete Sangalo has the voice of a mulherao on the few songs I've heard her (I'm thinking of acoustic version of 'Full Gas')

We Fight/We Love
Bahiana77 View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahiana77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 22:36

A Vida Vai Melhorar, sung by Martinho da Vila, when I really need to believe it will.

A Gente Se Entrega and Bate O by Rio Negro e Solimões, which I learned to dance forro to, heard in the backyard of my friend's house in the country on a warm summer night with the party going until 3a.m. and everybody dropping where they stand--only to continue the next day.
And more forro by Luiz Caldes.

Anything, anytime, anywhere by Margareth Menezes--but notable perhaps in something like Egito, during which she may speak movingly about pride in her Bahian heritage.

Yelé Congo, an oldie by Ara Ketu.

Old  (1940s/50s) sambas with Candeia and Nelson Cavaquinho like Sem Ilusão or Não É Só Você-- (and other older sambistas like Bola Sete) or those of Paulinho da Viola (Na Pagode De Vava) or Bezzera da Silva......

Malandro Sofrador by Ary Barroso.

Most anything the Minister of Culture deigns to sing this coming Wednesday night at the show I'm going to!

...to name a few...and not necessarily in that order....

Lauren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 09:31

I LOVE Fulgas by Ivete Sangalo;its the only Brazilian song that I have managed to learn all of the words to!

I also like Claudio Zolli, Ed Motta and O Rappa but I'm not sure of any titles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanish_tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 09:50
I usually google the lyrics (name of song "+ letras" works for me) otherwise I wouldn't know any of the words.

Bahiana, I'll certainly be investigating some of the songs you put there, I've got one song by Magareth Menezes, but I'm not really into the party music (or rather the fiancee prohibits me going to any forro concerts/nights while I'm waiting here in London)
We Fight/We Love
vermelhinha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vermelhinha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 19:00

There are so many, but a few of my favorites are:

Preciso me Encontrar-Candeia

Capoeira do Brasil/Magalenha-Sergio Mendes version

Chiclete com Banana-Gilberto Gil

Esperando na Janela - Gilberto Gil

Rap Glamurosa - MC Marinho (for purely silly and nostalgic reasons, plus it's great for learning some of the slang  ).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanish_tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 05:50
Bahiana,

I'm listening to Rio Negro e Solimões It's sounds quite country! No-one listens to this kind of music in the UK! 

We Fight/We Love
Bahiana77 View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahiana77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 12:25

Originally posted by Spanish_tony Spanish_tony wrote:

Bahiana,I'm listening to Rio Negro e Solimões It's sounds quite country! No-one listens to this kind of music in the UK! 

Anthony- 
Sertaneja (from the 'sertoes', the inland ranching regions) is, essentially, Brazilian country. Country has a stereotypically poor, uneducated, southern following in the U.S. And in fact,
I don't listen to country in the U.S., U.K. or anywhere else --except that around all my "cowboy" or wanna-be friends from Minas, Rondonia, Mato Grosso, etc, I can't get away from it  and have actually gotten to like some of it. It's fun to dance to!

Rio Negro e Solimoes is my favorite group, very lively. Most of the other duos (they tend to have 'matching' names like Gian & Giovanni , Leandro & Leonardo, Edson & Hudson, as well as Chitaozinho & Xororo, Bruno & Marone or Zeze di Camargo & Luciano, about whom the film Os Dois Filhos do Francisco was made), I find too sappy.

And you wouldn't believe how popular the rodeio is here. The Brazilian-organized bull riding championship, starting again at the end of April, draws thousands of Brazilians (and others) here outside a major northeastern American city famous for its universities.
Remember all the scenes in the storyline for the novela America that were set at the rodeio in Barreiras? Why? Because it's so popular. (One of the big money winners in actuality is from the city of Salvador of all places.) For me this is all just a big circle in life, since I started out as a teenager riding barrel racing horses just outside New York City.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic