Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Romance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brazilian Dating Culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazilian Dating Culture
    Posted: 11 August 2009 at 00:07
I need help on what to expect when dating a Brazilian.

What is expected of me when visiting family and friends?
How can I tell if he is flirting with me, or only being friendly?

Is there anything that I should be careful of so not to insult him?

Thank you
Sponsored Links

SolMilreu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolMilreu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 09:25
Hello Silver Cat!

Are you a boy or a girl?

In general Brazilians are very open, touch you when they are speaking and are VERY friendly specially with gringoes.  Although, most of the time it doesn t mean that they are into you, this is cultural. Regarding to their families, it always means something more when they take you to visit their loved ones or invite you for lunch. 

Good luck !

Sol.Smile
Herr Stocky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herr Stocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 00:08

Speaking a few basic phrases in Portuguese will go a long way.

silverCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by SolMilreu SolMilreu wrote:

Hello Silver Cat!

Are you a boy or a girl?

In general Brazilians are very open, touch you when they are speaking and are VERY friendly specially with gringoes.  Although, most of the time it doesn t mean that they are into you, this is cultural. Regarding to their families, it always means something more when they take you to visit their loved ones or invite you for lunch. 

Good luck !

Sol.Smile

I am a girl, but I am kind of looking for a general answer. I have been searching the web for information about the dating culture of Brazilians, but come up with basically nothing.
SolMilreu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolMilreu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 12:35

Silver Cat,

You already have an advantage, you are a foreigner and there is a whole mistery involving that sort of relationship.  I don t know, there is a fantasy, something different from the rest of the bunch.  Use that "diffrence"to get his heart!

I wish you all the best,

Sol.Star

Originally posted by silverCat silverCat wrote:

Originally posted by SolMilreu SolMilreu wrote:

Hello Silver Cat!

Are you a boy or a girl?

Good luck !

Sol.Smile

I am a girl, but I am kind of looking for a general answer. I have been searching the web for information about the dating culture of Brazilians, but come up with basically nothing.
LondonColin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonColin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 23:05
Originally posted by silverCat silverCat wrote:

I need help on what to expect when dating a Brazilian. 

Is there anything that I should be careful of so not to insult him?

Find out who his favorite futebol team is early on, and make certain never to insult it!

Siggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 18:16
1. Learn some basic portuguese phrases.  They will respect the fact that you took the time and interest to try and communicate.

2. When your introduced to his friends and family, give them a kiss on both cheeks. 

3. Holding hands and PDAs are common in brazilian culture. Dont be shy about being affectionate and kissing in public.

4. When your in restaurants with booths or side by side chairs, you sit next to him not across from him.

5.  Being friendly is flirty for brazilians.  You will know if he is interested in you if he tries to kiss you.
keith klopas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith klopas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 20:30
Those are some good tips.  I'm curious about this as well.  I'm single by choice (believe it or not Wink) here in the US, so every time I tell somebody I'm going to Brasil next year the first response is usually, "You're going there to meet some fine Brazilian women!"  That's not the purpose of my visit (believe it or not LOL), but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to meeting "some fine Brazilian women." 

Keep the tips flowing and thanks for the insight!
SolMilreu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolMilreu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 13:24
Originally posted by keith klopas keith klopas wrote:

Those are some good tips.  I'm curious about this as well.  I'm single by choice (believe it or not Wink) here in the US, so every time I tell somebody I'm going to Brasil next year the first response is usually, "You're going there to meet some fine Brazilian women!"  That's not the purpose of my visit (believe it or not LOL), but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to meeting "some fine Brazilian women." 

Keep the tips flowing and thanks for the insight!
Hi Keith,

This is a very interesting subject...a friend of mine even told me that there was an article in the newspaper about American men going to Brazil to find their long term partners.
Are you going to Rio?

Have a great time in Brazil!

Regards,

Sol.
tamashin View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 14:48
I read a similar article on this website about a chappy from the States who went to Sao Jose dos Campos to stay with his internet girlfriend and was found several weeks later in a skip. Apparently she was in collusion with her Brasilian boyfriend and brother.

I suppose if one put the right combination of words in the search engine the story would come to light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic