Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Visas and Documentation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Permanent Visa and Registration Process (RNE)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permanent Visa and Registration Process (RNE)
    Posted: 02 December 2007 at 17:27
Since I just went through this, thought I would share the information with all of you. The instrustions are sort of slanted to Los Angeles and Rio, but will provide information useful in other locations (example, Los Angeles wants a drivers license as proof of residence, other consulates might want voting registration or utility bill).

Instructions on applying for a Permanent Visa:

http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/consular/VIPER.htm

Short version of what is on the web site for retirement or marriage,

 Two Visa Application Forms
 Your passport showing at least six months' validity from the date of entry in Brazil, containing one blank page. The Consulate will make a copy of the passport to legalize.
 Two recent 2" x 2" passport-type photos, front view, white background.
 Police clearance issued within the last 3 months, certifying absence of criminal record, legalized by the Consulate. I used Livescan services to get a DOJ report.
 Drivers license as proof of residence within the consular jurisdiction legalized by the Consulate.
 Copy of Birth Certificate legalized by the Consulate.

Additional for Marriage
• Copy of the Brazilian marriage certificate (if married in the USA you will have to have your marriage registered in Brazil, another process), notarized in Brazil.
• Copy of the Brazilian ID or the Brazilian permanent resident card of the spouse; notarized in Brazil;
• Copy of CIC/CPF of the spouse, notarized in Brazil;
• Copy of the Brazilian Voting Registration Card (Título de Eleitor) of the spouse, notarized in Brazil;
• Copy of the last Brazilian Income Tax Return (Declaração do Imposto de Renda) or justification for not having filled Income Tax Return of the spouse, signed and notarized in Brazil or legalized by the Consulate.
• Affidavit form stating full responsibility for the applicant’s stay in Brazil (Termo de Responsabilidade) filled and signed by the spouse, notarized in Brazil or legalized at the Consulate.

Additional for Retirement
 Affidavit of the payment institution on means of support, declaring amount of the month income and resource, on official letterhead, certified by a notary public and legalized by the Consulate. Applicants must provide this official documentation stating a minimum pension of $2,000.00 (two thousand dollar) a month per person plus 2 (two) dependents for life.
 Bank statement verifying service for regular transfers to Brazil. This must be notarized and then legalized by the Consulate.
They will take your application, ship to Brazilia to validate. In a few months they will contact you to tell you your visa is approved. You then go back to the consulate and give them your passport so they can add the permanent visa. Los Angeles required 20 working days to add the stamp to my passport. This means you are stuck in the USA for about a month. If you are in Brazil and do not want to go back home, the option of mailing to an agency, having them submit the passport and then express back to you in Brazil, is NOT something brazil will approve or allow. If you are in the USA you CAN use an agency to do this (even though they do not actually know where you are).

Once you have your visa/Registering with the Federal Police:

You have to enter Brazil within 90 days of the visa issuance. After entry you have to register with the Federal Police (DPF) within 30 days. For Rio de Janeiro the DPF office has moved to the International Airport (GIG) as of Sept 1, 2007 in terminal 1, 3rd floor, red section (very first office on the 3rd floor in the terminal). Other locations are at http://www.dpf.gov.br/web/unidad.htm

Once you enter Brazil, you will have 30 (thirty) days from the date of arrival to register with the Federal Police in the city where you will be based, in order to obtain the RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros), which is an identity card for foreign nationals.
The Federal Police will require the following documents in order to issue an RNE:
• Two (02) recent photographs, size 3cm x 4cm (color, white background, smooth paper), easily obtained at the photo stores anywhere in Brazil. This is not a passport photo, these are smaller in size.
• Photocopies of the cover page, visa page and the entry stamp page of your passport.
• The Visa application form which was returned to you from the permanent visa process above.
• Original passport
• Payment of two fees. Go to the web site https://www2.dpf.gov.br/gru/gru?nac=1 from which you need to print out vouchers for: Code 140082 (REGISTRO DE ESTRANGEIROS/RESTABELECIMENTO DE REGISTRO) and Code 140120 (CARTEIRA DE ESTRANGEIRO DE PRIMEIRA VIA) . Pay these at a bank before you go to the DPF office.
• RNE application form, which will be given to you at the DPF office when you arrive. You fill it in there and submit with the other documents.

You will receive a piece of paper (protocolo) that will be temporary ID, but not of much use other than you keep it in your passport. You will be instructed to return in a few months to obtain your ID card. They will also stamp your passport showing you are now a valid permanent resident

it will say something like does not exist, until it is ready.

Update: After 7 months, my official card was ready. I now have the card with my RNE! This was in Rio at the Airport.

Edited by Off Road - 07 May 2008 at 09:00
Sponsored Links

MovingSoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingSoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 16:29

Yipee--

Just returned to the states this morning from Rio-and completed the process for the perm resident visa.  Information above is right on, as far as visa by marriage, as just completed it.
Because of construction at the downtown Rio Fed Police office, the only place in Rio for the perm visa is at the airport as stated.  A fact that cost me a couple of hours of time, but still got the job done.
Got my perm visa, got my CPF # in one day (just have to apply for the card next trip), and plan to move in the summer...

Actually fairly easy process if you don't mind the paperwork, different answers you get each time you ask a Brazilian official, very long 'waiting in line'...
fewbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fewbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 19:41
Hello, great news. I have a question. Once you register with the Federal Police and have a protocolo are you allowed to work legally?
Russell View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 03:16
Sort of. Assuming you're working in a registered job you need to get the Work Card as well. If you're working an unregistered job... well then none of the above really matter anyway Wink
Off Road View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 07:58
Update! I applied for my RNE on 5 Sept 2007. I looked on the web and it now says it is ready for pickup! About 6 months. This is Rio DPF. I am traveling to the USA today, so will check at the airport to see if it is actually ready (and they have time to see me). Flying at 6:30 so will plan to get to their office about 4:30.

UPdate 2: Picked up my card!! only took them a minute, just went to the file drawer and pulled the card out... finally..

Edited by Off Road - 15 April 2008 at 17:14
Stunning View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 08:53
Hey Cheers OffRoad, all good advice.

I just got my RNE slip yesterday in Sao Paulo. There was 1 other document I needed which me managed to get off the internet and print out. (details to follow)

1. Copia Autenticada do Diario oficial da uniao reduzida para o tamanho A4, sem marcha de caneta.

You can get this document if you go to the website below and search for your name. Select the dates correctly as well. The date you need is the day before your VISA was finally approved by the Ministary so just choose a big enough window to make sure you get it. Tick all 3 boxes for the 3 DOU-Seçãos against the Diário Oficial da União options. When you find it Print out this docuemnt in A4 and take it with you.

http://portal.in.gov.br/imprensa/pesquisa_destaque

They also told me that I needed to go back in 3 days to collect what must be the actual RNE, as the document they gave me was just a slip of paper with my photo and a stamp on it.

Oh and the copies of the three pages of your passport all need authenticating at a cartorio.

Edited by Stunning - 22 April 2008 at 08:43
SPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:20

I got the “Diario Oficial da Uniao “ publication copy (authenticated ) so we are ready to go to Policia Federal.

I am sorry I did not understand these two points  could you please explain ?

1 -  The Visa application form which was returned to you from the permanent visa process above. ( We did not get any paper back from them, just a stamp in his passport that says the process number)

2-  RNE application form, which will be given to you at the DPF office when you arrive. You fill it in there and submit with the other documents. ( What more should we take to them, what document are you talking about )

We do not have time as we are leaving on May to US also we live far away from Lapa we would love t have all paper work done and be ready to get it done at the same day.

The link to print the fees document doesn’t work is there another link where i can print it ?

Thank you so so much !

Edited by SPaul - 23 April 2008 at 11:27
man of leisure View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man of leisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 14:13
If you are talking about the DOU then it sounds to me like you are confusing applying for visa overseas with applying for permanencia inside Brazil.  It's a different treatment.  If you are the latter then you need to go to the PF with the 2 x GRU payment slips, the certified copy of the DOU, 2 x photos and the original protocolo that was given to you when you applied.  You will also need to get a Certidão de Inscrição Consular da Nacionalidade fron your consulate in Brazil.  This is very important!
SPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 14:50
We applied based on " conjuge brasileiro "  " married to a brazilian national inside Brasil.
Ok He has a "Cedula Consular" is this the same document as " Certidao de Inscricao Consular ????????

Here are the information I got from a Despachante :

Marriege Certificate
DOU page
Photos
Passport copies.... everything notorized.
He did not say anything about Certidao de Inscricao Consular.
Is it correct ?
Is it possible to get the payment slips there ? I have tried all day long to print them the link doesnt work, if i remember there is a Banco do Brasil agency there so I could pay it.

I appreciate your help !!!

man of leisure View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man of leisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 14:58
The GRU website is working for me, now, as I type this.  What are you doing wrong?  You have to agree to accept the certificate - alternatively, you should remove the 's' from https:/ and just go with http:/.

I have no idea what a cedula consular is - they asked me for a CICN and I got this from my consulate in Rio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic