Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Moving to Brazil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bringing 2 laptops into Brazil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bringing 2 laptops into Brazil
    Posted: 07 February 2007 at 22:00
I am going to be in Sao Paulo for about 2-3 months starting this weekend for a long business trip from California. I was thinking about bringing along my personal laptop in addition to my regular business laptop with me. My personal laptop is quite old from 2003. Is it likely to be a problem to bring in 2 laptops into Brazil?  I looked at some of the older threads on this issue but found nothing specific to bringing in 2 laptops,

Please advise,

Sponsored Links

g32141 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g32141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 05:22

Don't worry about it.

I brought in 3 laptops once. Go throught the "Nothing to Declare" line.

If they pull you aside they scan your stuff. After they scan your stuff they either let you pass or make you open your bags. If they make you open your bags you are screwed.

I was screwed on a personal laptop once.

I have since arrived with 3 laptops at once, 3 brand new guitars worth more than the 3 laptops. I even wanted to pay the tax on the guitars but it was difficult to get get a customs official to help me, they even told me to get on my way but I wanted to sell the guitars and have a legit import tax form from them. They kept wanting to let me go without paying anything.

Travel light (few bags) and always stay in the secure area where they have the duty free shop and be one of the last ones to leave.

Even if they pull you aside they just x ray your stuff and may or may not open it.

I was only hassled once in 5 years and it was over a $700 laptop.

Be friendly and cooperative. Don't give them any attitude because you will only open a can of worms that will ruin your trip.

Always go through the "Nothing to Declare" line. Always.

grindigo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 05:30
Thanks, unfortunately the only reason I want to take 2 laptops is so that I do not have to carry a laptop back and forth between the hotel and office as it appears a laptop tends to attract attention. How bad is it if I am asked to open my bags and they want me to pay taxes for the laptop? 
g32141 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g32141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 05:45

You should not have any problem. Like I said I brought in 3 laptops.

2 were brand new and one was less than a year old. The 2 new ones I brought were to sell but I still have them. Now I have 4 laptops. I can't get rid of any of them.

It depends on how you get back and forth to work. If you work for a decent place you can always use the PCs there and save everything to a 2gig pen drive. Buy one of those before you get here.

If you are unlucky enough to have your bags opened doesn't always mean they are you are going to have to pay taxes.

When I moved here I had 4 huge bags full of dive gear, electronics you name it. I was waived through even after they looked at my stuff.

I kept my cool and lied to them. They bought it.

Denise View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 09:40
Grindigo, customs are after brazilians carrying electronics...

(For Brazilians: wait until the bunch arriving from Miami leave the duty-free shop, wait in line after them...)

Edited by Denise
DUNGA View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUNGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 10:40

Actually in the situation you describe it is perfectly legal to bring in 2 laptops as a “Temporary Admission”  - “·  To be used by a non resident traveler, once part of his baggage;” – I wouldn’t say anything about working. But most people won’t bother with this because of the paperwork and possible delays and would just get in the nothing to declare line.

See ‘15- Temporary admissions’ at the Link below.

Good Luck!!!

http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/principal/Ingles/faq.htm#1 5-%20Temporary%20admissions

Russell View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:34
As Dunga says, it's only an issue if you're a resident (not just a Brazilian).
grindigo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 17:43
Thanks everybody, that was helpful. I need to bring in my work laptop as I will be working out of a customer site and I need to access proprietary stuff installed on my laptop, so using a temp PC is not a solution unfortunately. I am coming in on a temporary 90 day work visa which took about 6-7 months to get approved!
Victoria2005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victoria2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 18:31
Originally posted by g32141 g32141 wrote:

Don't worry about it.

I brought in 3 laptops once. Go throught the "Nothing to Declare" line.

Hmmm, i went through the nothing to declare line with my laptop and got busted.

wasn't a big deal, they just examined it, then wrote down all the serial numbers and gave me a stern warning not to be naughty again.

Denise View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 19:25

[QUOTE=Russell] As Dunga says, it's only an issue if you're a resident (not just a Brazilian). [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but isn't the line for everybody? (tourists & residents). 

Edited by Denise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic