Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Living in Brazil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brazilian Wine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miguel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 02:01
While clearly playing second-fiddle to Chile and Argentina, Brazilīs wine industry has made undeniable progress over the last few years and has a few - but not many - very good niche wineries.  

I have had the opportunity to visit its wine region a few times and most of its wineries, and definite stand-outs in my book are Marson, Valduga, Aurora, Dom Candido, and Salton, particularly the Cabernet Sauvignons and Merlots.  The price range is quite reasonable, but as niche wineries can be difficult to spot in some wine stores or certainly supermarkets.

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a decent white  here; personally I donīt like Chardonays (way too sweet for my taste) and the Brazil variety leaves a lot to be desired.  However, Salton has an excellent Sauvignon Blanc.

I didnīt particularly take to the Miolo wines, and on a recent visit there finally found out why - it is the only Brazil winery which I visited which does not harvest all of its own grapes, it purchases second-hand grapes from other wineries to meet ambitious production targets, making quality control and consistency somewhat difficult.  

In the end of course itīs all a matter of personal taste.   Before dismissing Brazil wines see if your neighborhood  wine store offers a wine tasting of any or all of its stock.

Edited by miguel
Sponsored Links

Cary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 07:54
Wow!  A Brazilian wine industry marketing agent honors our site with this spin!!!  Taste Brasilian wines and decide for yourself, but otherwise don't believe this hype.  For myself, the best bet from here is always a Chandon Brut.
miguel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miguel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 12:08
Thanks dude for the accreditation, but in fact a wine lover pleasantly surprised by a few local wineries!  As this thread indicates, a number of us site members have actually gone Brazilian & found  some local wines that we enjoy.
brazilliz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brazilliz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2006 at 16:04

Does anyone know if there are any Zinfadel wines in Brazil?

brazilliz
Airlegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airlegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 12:24

I've never seen a Brasilian Zinfandel.  I do recommend a Brasilian cabernet called Rio Sol, it's from Pernambuco, in the NE.  It's quite nice too.  I like it MUCH better than Miolo.  http://www.gestaodoluxo.com.br/segmentacao/materia_19.htm

I also agree that Chandon has great sparkling wines, YUM.

Wdem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 00:37
You get a nice bottle of cachaca for R$3.  Seriously though, I gave a friend of mine that is a serious wine drinker (in volume anyway) in the US a bottle of supermarket R$10 Baron de Lantier Cabernet Sauvignon that she said was one of the best wines she ever had.
AkuTyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AkuTyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 19:34
My husband calls Brasilian wine "glorified grape juice" which is exactly what it tastes like to me.
Cary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 01:01
Please, enjoy a nice bottle of the local cachaca before spending more for the aweful vino made here in Brasil.  Rio Sul might be a noticable exception... it was actually drinkable when I tested it recently. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic