Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Living in Brazil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running / Squash / Florianopolis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profwacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running / Squash / Florianopolis
    Posted: 27 December 2012 at 13:35
Hi,

I will be moving to Florianopolis in a couple of weeks, and I will be there for a few months. I'm wondering if there are any regular races in Florianopolis, as I'm a runner and interested in keeping active. I hope to run in a couple of marathons while I'm in Brazil, but it'd also be nice to run shorter races once in a while (for training).

I'd also be interested in any recommended routes that you might have in the Florianopolis area. I plan to do short runs (30-40 minutes) and one long run per week (2-3 hours). I generally like to do most of my running on quiet streets to simulate race conditions, but I don't mind mixing it up with some trails.

Additionally, I play squash (I'm about a B-level player when I'm in game shape), and I'm wondering if there are any recommended places to play squash in Florianopolis. Well, perhaps its not a popular sport there.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

3casas View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3casas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 16:01
to find runs, mapmyrun.com is good (you might also find some running groups/companions)
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/?location=florianopolis

races can be found at
http://www.chiptiming.com.br/
(choose the region option on the top right for your state and you'll get a list of races).

dunno about squash.
Gringo.Floripa View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringo.Floripa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 17:13

The premier event here for marathons is the grueling IronMan Brasil competition, which I'm sure you know encompasses swimming and biking too.
It's held at the end of each May.

Another popular event is Mountain Do, which is at the end of June in 2013.

Other races can be found here:  Corridas em Santa Catarina

A good guide to the numerous trails on the island, with various degrees of difficulty, can be found here:  Trilhas da Ilha

Can't say though where you might find 'quiet streets'.  IMO, the nicest stretch for a run is from Barra da Lagoa to Rio Vermelho... flat, straight as an arrow, shaded by the tall trees of the Rio Vermelho Forest State Park.  Only problem is you'll share the asphalt with the cars speeding down that stretch, and we all know how fookin crazy Brasilian drivers are, don't we?!  At your own risk!

EDIT:  Ditto about squash.  Don't know about this; never heard of any place with a court.  What's it even called in portuguese?

Edited by Gringo.Floripa - 27 December 2012 at 17:18
profwacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profwacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 17:49
Thanks for the replies with the information about running and trails. That's great!

Based on Wikipedia, it appears that "squash" is the same in English and Portuguese. Well, I did find a squash club, with some searching online, so hopefully I can get in a game once in a while

frogger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 17:25
Brit in Rio. I've played a few times at Rio squash club, a few decent games, not many clubs though, not enough for team squash, players play more tournaments instead. I plan to enter a few this year.

BTW everyone plays the new scoring to 11, also not surprisingly courts are very warm!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic