Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Investing in Brazil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any advantages of dual citizenship?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newCarioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 13:47
I highly doubt that.  Even in Mercosul citizens of other countries are required to apply and to obtain residency and work permits.  They do have it easier and theoretically faster, but they by no means are spared the hussle.
Sponsored Links

brila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 16:54
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

"US Citzens may be resident in other countries, but they are still considered US residents for tax purposes."I kid you not. It really has become that crazy!

Same in Brazil mate, unless you leave and make a declaration of leaving definitively.
brila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 16:57
Originally posted by newCarioca newCarioca wrote:

I highly doubt that.  Even in Mercosul citizens of other countries are required to apply and to obtain residency and work permits.  They do have it easier and theoretically faster, but they by no means are spared the hussle.

No. They just inform police they live there for a period of 2 years. No work permit required either.
Solteropolitano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solteropolitano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 20:10
Any advantages of dual citizenship?
Originally posted by GreatBallofNegativity GreatBallofNegativity wrote:

Originally posted by Solteropolitano Solteropolitano wrote:

you can make your money in the U.S. and then spend your down time in Brazil, just like the Brazilians who have acquired a U.S. passport do, the best of both worlds.

What a strange post. .....You are not the only one who makes money in the States and spends some of it in Brazil.
You yourself are the one who jumped in to make this hostile sounding comment, apropos of nothing addressed to you, as is quite clear in the quote above, assuming things you don't have any way of knowing, and taking the thread off topic, so if you choose this course, you may reap what you sow.
Many joyous days of diapering to you, in your element.

Edited by Solteropolitano - 25 November 2012 at 12:57
newCarioca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newCarioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 21:23
Who are them?  What police?  No work permit?  Automatic permanent residency?  Where?  

Are we talking theory here or practice?  Got links?

Originally posted by brila brila wrote:

No. They just inform police they live there for a period of 2 years. No work permit required either.
brila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 21:34

Who are them?  What police?  No work permit?  Automatic permanent residency?  Where?   Are we talking theory here or practice?  Got links?

Practice. Argentinean friends who live and work in Brazil and vice versa. Residency automatic but not permanent - 2 years extendable. Work permit automatic.

O estrangeiro beneficiado com o Acordo de Residência MERCOSUL possui igualdade de direitos civis no Brasil. Deveres e responsabilidades trabalhistas e previdenciárias são, também, resguardadas, além do direito de transferir recursos, direito de nome, registro e nacionalidade aos filhos desses imigrantes.
dualcitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dualcitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 08:20
Originally posted by GreatBallsoFire GreatBallsoFire wrote:

Here is a dual citizenship advantage not yet mentioned.

As a Brazilian citizen, you are allowed to live and work year round in any Merco Sur country. Free to live and work in Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, and a handful of other countries.

REALLY??!!! Oh yeah very cool. As I noted in other posts, I speak Spanish but not Portuguese. Uruguay, Argentina and Chile (and maybe Paraguay) interest me a lot. Maybe I'll go there and teach instead of Brazil. Oh sure I'll come visit "my country" but I think I'd feel much more comfortable in a Spanish-speaking environment.
nesne2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesne2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 09:47
If you are not a n"atural born" citizen you have to wait five years since obtaining your citienship to have the right to automatically gain residence in other Mercosur countries. However maybe in DualCitizen's case she is considered "nato". That being said, if anyone is looking to get residency in Uruguay or Paraguay, neither is that hard, even for non Mercosur citizens. Argentina, I believe is more difficult but still way easier than Brazil.

Edited by nesne2 - 24 November 2012 at 09:47
Um carioca e um ser humano entram num bar.....
dualcitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dualcitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 23:19
Originally posted by nesne2 nesne2 wrote:

However maybe in DualCitizen's case she is considered "nato".

I'm a "he", actually, no offense taken though.
miguel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miguel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 03:25
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

Originally posted by miguel miguel wrote:

Yes, that is of course the infamous citizenship-based model of taxation, as opposed to the rest of the world (except Libya), with a civilized residency-based model, and soon to be enforced by the very long arm of FATCA, if the IRS gets its way.  That tax imperialism if you will is certainly enough to get serious-minded folks thinking about acquiring dual-citizenship, with the potential view of dumping one's US citizenship.Am seriously considering this route.  However, it is unclear whether, in practice at least, even renouncing one's US citizenship would be sufficient, if say Brazilian (and other) banks will end up reporting folks with say a US-based birthplace, i.e. naturalidade vs. nacionalidade.  The banks have this info from your CEI when you established the account.  Note that I am not saying that that is necessarily what will happen.  The US would certainly have no legal tax basis for this information under FATCA.  However, Brazilian (and other) banks may take a broader view just out of self-interest after seeing an easily detected red flag under the naturalidade field to avoid a potential 30% withholding penalty on their US payment receipts.  We just won't know until this is in fact regulamentado

It's actually Eritrea. Even the US wrote the rules saying that if you provide a *CLN*, then you don't count as an American. Something just seems perverse about the US's handling of this: They are basically forcing anyone who was born there to completely turn their backs on where they were born (and pay a fee). Otherwise, they are included. Anyway, it'll be nice to be free of it.

You're right about Eritrea.  My sincerest apologies go to the country and people of Libya to have lumped them with this ignominious tax pair.

Edited by miguel - 26 November 2012 at 03:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic