Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Visas and Documentation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US Consulates & violation of state monopoly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Consulates & violation of state monopoly
    Posted: 30 October 2012 at 13:34
A Federal Judge in São Paulo ordered the US consulates to stop sending passports with visas through DHL, as sending of documents by any other means than using the Correios is illegal considering correios have a state monopoly.

Para o juiz federal Célio Braschi, da 8.ª Vara da Justiça Federal de São Paulo, "o passaporte se enquadra no conceito legal de carta. Trata-se de documento escrito de natureza administrativa que contém informação de interesse do seu destinatário". Diz ainda o magistrado que, se a terceirizada continuar com o serviço de entrega, "está presente o risco de dano irreparável".

http://espaco-vital.jusbrasil.com.br/noticias/100151275/decisao-da-justica-atrapalha-visto-dos-eua
Sponsored Links

gringonovo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gringonovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 15:00
LOL this isn't political at all. Correios is a complete scam, overcharging brasileiros for ages to get their passports back when accepted for a visa. But then again USPS charges nearly the same price for express mail return of your passport for us americans filing at a brazilian consulate.
Gringo.Floripa View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringo.Floripa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 21:49

In the US, the Brasilian consulates ONLY accept mail from the US Postal Service (NO courier services such as Fedex, UPS, or DHL).  Additionally, the consulates ONLY accept payment for visas by US Postal money orders.

In should also be noted, the US Postal Service is essentially bankrupt.   Confused

3casas View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3casas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 07:22
geez i saw this on your FB yesterday Sven, great..... i know at least 3 couples waiting for their visas right now they are probably crapping their pants.
sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 10:49
Yeah, I think that Brazil is the only country in the world where a 1st instance judge would demand that a foreign country stop sending passports through DHL, pending the outcome of the case as it might "cause irreparable damage to Correios".
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 13:40
The Judge is probably pissed because he caught an American screwing his wife. I am sure the judge wants to impose some type of fee to transport documents.

None the less, I got screwed by the post office recently. They taxed me for something I paid for less than $10 US. I had to pay R90. I sold this item to a neighbor for $250 US. I made the money back.
gringonovo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gringonovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 15:02
how does that add up? 90,00 de impostos? For a $10 item. I received another shipment from china today with a value of around $40USD and they wrote a declared value of $5. lol
acs7623 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acs7623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 10:15
Just note that the U.S. Consulates for Brazil (including Chicago and San Francisco) have suspended issuance of all Brazilian visas until at least tomorrow (November 5).

Brazil Visas Suspended

Edited by acs7623 - 04 November 2012 at 10:17
jacare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 11:32
"Farias, Brazil’s deputy consul general in Los Angeles, said the current problem is temporary and technical, with no connection to “reciprocity” issues or labor disputes."

The consulates have run out of money. They made their funding requests when the dollar was maybe 1.5 and then it went up to 2.0 and they are short until the end of the year. I read about this (and posted) some while back. The Washington consulate was the first to go down when they ran out of printer ink cartridges.

Em rio de piranha jacare nada de costas.
Solteropolitano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solteropolitano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 12:08
So maybe they should add to the list of stuff that applicants need to apply for a visa---a $20 gift certificate to Staples.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic