Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Teaching English
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving to Rio starter kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:18
Originally posted by Kurtz Kurtz wrote:

Hey GD,

Not bitter. I simply have little respect for people who do not earn their living.

In 2005, if you're say 26 years old now, your were 18 years old in Brasil. At 18, how could you afford to visit Brasil? Hotel, Taxis, food, etc. Someome helped and paid your way. No 18 year olds have enouigh money to fly to a foreign exotic country. There's a huge fill in the blanks ...... I know a few U.S. people, one man and two women, all work very hard 9-5, mid 40s, trying to travel for once in their life to Brasil. It makes me sick to my stomach reading about people who've never suffered, not even a little.

I came after high school instead of taking a trip to Asia or Europe, it's not an uncommon occurrence. Your frustration with equality is your own, my personal life, is separate from yours and it always has been that way. What does my personal life have to do with you? This conversation was about living in Leblon/Ipanema. If you want to feel frustrated and keep friction that's on you, again, best of luck!
Sponsored Links

Kurtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:22
I have better things to do than converse with a 24 your old Canadian kid going to school in Ipanema. Peace out.
hpeak13 View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpeak13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Gringodude Gringodude wrote:

You mean a real shady person with no moral. That's understood and has nothing to do with this discussion. I was wrong, I think you're a bit ignorant. You teach english in BH, how could you conceive much about Zona-Sul social politics?

No, that is not at all what I meant. I meant what I wrote.

Yes I teach English in BH, but I had a life before I moved to Brazil. I come from money as well, went to a fine boarding school, had membership to the country club, never wanted for anything. It was a very comfortable life.

I also saw the song and dance that my parents had to partake in to keep up appearances. I imagine things are not all that different in Zona Sul....shallow and pretentious will always be shallow and pretentious- no matter the country.

Remember, not everyone needs to flaunt how much money their family has....
We all have to decide for ourselves how much sin we can live with. -Enoch Nucky Thompson
Gringodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:35
Originally posted by Gosteelers Gosteelers wrote:

GD,
May be I did not express my points very clearly the way I wanted to- my fault. I was not talking about not fiting in social life of zona sul. I got more friends in Zona sul, i can handle right now. I am talking about friends(or acquaintances) of last 8-9 years. I dont want more at this juncture of my life. Before I used to come to Rio just to party but priority changed for me. Also I am older than you- nothing against you-good for you.  Also neither I tried to take advantage of anything in USA nor in Rio to fit socially. It just came naturally.
I was mainly talking about the culture thing. In America with few exceptions no one really think of you as " Gringoes" if you live there, work there, speak English. Here it is different. That is the only point I was trying to make in my earlier post.
May be it is too early for me to get involved into these kind of discussions and I should make comments about this only after living here permanently for at least 5 years..so you win!!!Smile

There isn't much more to figure out and you don't have to be informed to participate, take the latter example. You have it figured out! There are friends a plenty and of good quality! Sorry for your council but I think that's just generic brazilian ignorance. We're all witness to that in someway or another. The efficiency question is always going to puzzle me, that's for sure!

@Hspeak.... You can wear your suit and tie ad night going to weddings and dinner parties! But you can also wear flip-flops by day and not give a nada! That balance is brilliant! You must partake when you get back from your journey in the bush! Don't come back with a giant beard! We might not recognize you
hpeak13 View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpeak13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:39
@Hspeak.... You can wear your suit and tie ad night going to weddings and dinner parties! But you can also wear flip-flops by day and not give a nada!

I hate wearing suites....I'll leave that to you.
We all have to decide for ourselves how much sin we can live with. -Enoch Nucky Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 22:42
Fortaleza-Newf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fortaleza-Newf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 03:19
All this time BLS we have been living on the same street. Who would of known?? If you live on Prudente de Morais near the Ceasar Park Hotel you may of even witnessed me clubbing a few baby seals the odd time on my balcony.

In all seriousness though I do think after all the travelling I've done in the world the USA is certainly the most welcoming country for immigrants. As well on average the Brazilians are a really good crowd but you can get some ridiculous and pretentious middle/upper class Brazilians (particularly in Rio) who unlike the majority of the population don't like any foreigners and thinks the sun shines out their arse. This is not all of them ( I have friends from various social levels in Brazil) but yes I do agree their is a certain percentage of the population in Zona Sul like this. My 2 cents.
BakerStreet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BakerStreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 07:37
Wow, this conversation really grew arms and legs!

Of course as a visitor I spent most of my time in Zona Sul, but are there good places to live in Zona Norte, or Zona Oueste, that are more affordable than Zona Sul? In Zona Sul I was thinking that Santa Teresa might be the best place to live, being far less expensive than Ipanema or Leblon, but of course I have more research to do. I have 8-9 months before I can come anyway!

I think most cultures in the world are a little xenophobic, but I think the special treatment that gringos tend to get in Asia and South America more than makes up for the occasional snide remark. On my travels people have often been very interested to talk to me, just because I am obviously a foreigner. I like that, and I can't imagine many foreigners are welcomed the same way in Britain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gringodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 11:48
Ipanema and Leblon are expensive and that's the point, why should it change. It makes it even funnier when people become upset about it. Either way you learn to love it, which you should, or you don't and in that case too bad. I don't know how else to put it.

Newf, we're just off anibal de mendonca, not far!

Edited by Gringodude - 02 January 2012 at 17:08
expt2233 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote expt2233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by BakerStreet BakerStreet wrote:

Hi, thanks for the quick replies, especially about it being easy to see a doctor. I hadn't been able to find out about that anywhere else.

I'm not coming to Rio to make lots of money (if that was my priority I would move to South Korea), I'm coming to enjoy the city! Of course to be able to afford that I will have to teach English, but I have a little experience of that and I enjoyed it so that is totally fine. As I said, I will do a CELTA course too, so it's something I am pursuing long-term anyway. I know that living in Rio will be different from being a visitor but I am excited to give it a go. There will be an opportunity for me to leave after 7 months so, if things aren't going well, I could take that and leave. Hopefully I will have broken even by then, but if I am only close, it's not a disaster. If I am happy and things are going well, of course I will stay (as long as the punishment for overstaying is no harsher than r800 or so, right?).

How much will the CELTA cost? 2 thousand dollars or something?

In Rio you will be able to charge R50-60 per hour of class. After 1-3 months you may have a pretty full schedule.

At 3 classes per day, 5 days per week, that's R3000 per month.

Why would you invest money into something that will get you a month's salary - only to do that job for 6 months?

Just earn your money elsewhere, come to Rio as a tourist, enjoy it for 3-4 months, pick up whatever work you find, and move on.

My $.02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic