Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Getting Married
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Married: Straight to the Point!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TarkInBrazil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by DonVito DonVito wrote:

Well, I never said I was infallible... lol Tark, if you were able to do it, GREAT !! Then, I guess it's always worth a try. Did they ask you where you lived ? Maybe they aren't as picky up there, as they seem to be down here in Sampa. What's the going rate for a despachante (approximately)?

I sent Kurtz the same answer about the consular certificate too.

I'll publish his name AFTER we're married, but he charged us $100 to translate a birth certificate and an additional 50 to move the process along.

When we were published in the newspaper, the cartorio we went with had over half a page of announcements, with all the other cartorios in the city making up the other less than half.  Yup, we got a friendly place!
Sponsored Links

deanwatts88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanwatts88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:32
Published in the Newspaper? What part was published in the Newspaper?
sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 13:01
Edital de Habilitação de Casamento, the intent to get married.
Lael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 13:18
Thanks for making this thread, it was hugely helpful to my fiance and I.

I am American and about to marry my Brazilian fiance. I am 18, and he is 23.

However, on the U.S. embassy site it says that I must have parental consent if I'm under 21 to marry him. I looked this up on Wikipedia and it was debunked... but I still want to make sure, because this is impossible for me to achieve, since my parents are against the marriage.

I live in Rio, is this list of documents valid here or only in SP?

Do I need consent? Thank you.
sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 13:29
Nope 21 was revoked 10 years ago. It's 18.
EuSouCanadense View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EuSouCanadense Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 22:33
As I previously mentioned, my documentation wasn't going to be submitted to the cartorio 30 days before our planned civil wedding date. We ended up getting it all submitted just shy of 3 weeks prior, and our intent was published in the newspaper 2 weeks prior to our civil ceremony date. I don't know if the 30 day rule is a law, or just a guideline, but we squeaked through and our civil ceremony went ahead without any further issues from the cartorio.

Sven, any legal clarification you can provide?
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 18:06
Thank you so much for this post! I am going in May to Sao Paulo to register intent to marry and marry as soon as we legally can. My fiance is there but we want him to come here as soon as possible. I leave in August just a day before my 90 day tourist visa expires. Before I leave I will go to the Brazilian embassy in ATL to swear (in Portuguese) that I am single, never married, and register my birth certificate. Am I really saving mysel money and effort by doing this, or should I just arrange to do it upon arrival in Sao Paulo? He lives in Riberao Preto, so about 4 hrs from Sao Paulo. I will have the documents translated there... I would rather be safe than sorry but all of this info has helped... I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Also... has anyone that has been through this taken their spouse back to the US to live? I am curious about the length of time we will have to wait before he can board a plane and we can finally be together and not long distance. I am registered at a cartorio there, I registered an unrelated document the last time I was there. I hope and pray I dont return alone in August... but I sort of expect to with hopes he follows AT LEAST by Dec. Any experience or advice to share???
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 18:24
hmm.. Im tired and just read my rambling post... let me break it down and save you some time...

* Am I saving time, money, and effort by swearing in Portuguese at the ATL Brazillian embassy while having them recognise my birth cirtificate BEFORE I head to Brazil in May?

*I am registered at a Cartorio (for unrelated documents) from my last visit, I am coming on my normal 10 year tourist visa that permits a 90 day stay. We will have the documents translated when I arrive in Sao Paulo and take them to register our intent to marry in Riberao Preto right away.
 (i.e. birth cirtificate) *am I understanding correctly that the passport does not need to be translated?

* Can anyone attest to the length of time they waited for their fiance now spouse to return to the US with you? (my fiance has never obtained a US visa of any kind) We are coming prepared with documentation and notarized letters from friends and family documenting the validity of our relationship for immigration purposes.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

DonVito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonVito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 21:48
Jenna, in answer to your points:

1. No, you're not saving any time by swearing in Atlanta. This has to be done in São Paulo, at the US CONSULATE - Rua Henri Dunant, 500, São Paulo. It doesn't take long, but you have to have an appointment that you make on their website. If you have some time to play with, you can get your appt. the day you come down. It will cost you $50.00US for the statement of civil status. Plus, you HAVE TO HAVE a copy of your appt. slip with you, so you'll want to print it out before you go down there.

2. You have to have your documents translated by a "Tradutor Juramentado" (legal translator). For this, you will pay R$29,70/lauda(about a page). But you should figure on at least 10% more pages than you have. After you have done this, you have to "register" your documents at a Cartorio Registro de Titulos e Documentos in Ribeirão Preto. THEN you can go to the Cartorio where you'll be married, to give them the documents. There is no registration with the cartorio, unless you've given them all the documents for both you and your fiancé, and the fees. These go to the cartorio in Ribeirão Preto, where you're going to be married. Your fiancé should visit the cartorio there to find out what they require, and then should show them the "Standard Operating Procedures for All Cartorios in the State of São Paulo" that I mentioned on pg. 3 of this thread, if their list differs with what the SOP's says you have to have for foreigners(estrangeiros). BTW - there is no 10 year visa. They only have a 5 yr. duration.

3. If you're not planning on living in Brasil, the only thing you'll have to do is get to the US Consulate in São Paulo, and get your stuff started for a green card for your new hubby. The Consulate website can give you more information about how long that will take. Again, read my posts earlier in this thread.

Edited by DonVito - 27 March 2012 at 21:50
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" - Vito Corleone
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 18:51
DonVito thank you so much for your reply. Sorry for my delayed response, I am graduating from Grad school and life is hectic. I have sent my certified birth certificate to the Brazillian embassy in ATL, and made the appointment for the single status thing for the day I get there. I did print out my appointment schedule. I appreciate your time and the information provided. We should be set and this site makes me feel more prepared ... *relief... Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic