Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Getting Married
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Married: Straight to the Point!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samye&jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Married: Straight to the Point!
    Posted: 27 October 2011 at 16:34
Hi there!

We are pretty soon getting married in Brazil, so Jesse can stay in the country for longer than 180 days/year. We have researched a lot of information here and it was extremely helpful. However, things were not organized and we have spent a lot of time looking for all information.
So, we decided to share our very own experience, straight to the point :)

Jesse is American and we are in Sao Paulo, but I guess our information might help everyone, everywhere. We haven't gotten married yet therefore the information is going to lead you until the day you are going to set your wedding date!

1) To get married the foreigner will need: birthcertificate, passport, valid visa and letter of single status.

2) What to do with your documents:

2.1- BIRTHCERTIFICATE

It needs to be sent to the brazilian consulate in your home country to be notorized/legalized.
In the States, each consulate is responsible for one specific area (i.e. more than one state), so you might want to check which consulate is responsible for the area where your birthcertificate was issued. Check the consulate website for specific rules.

You have to send the birthcertificate through USPS mail. Inside the envelope you should put: original birthcertificate, USPS money order of around $10 (check on consulate website exact amount), little note saying you want to have your birthcertificate notorized/legalized, pre-paid envelope with returning address (so they can send your birthcertificate back).

It takes around 10 days for them to return your birthcertificate and when you get it back it will have a very oficial brazilian sticker/stamp on its back.

***IMPORTANT NOTE when sending the document to the consulate, the sender address should be an United States address. The address over the returning envelope should also be within the States. Brazilian consulate do not accept or send mail from/to outside the States.

2.2 - LETTER OF SINGLE STATUS

You can get it easily from US Consulate in Brazil.

Go to US Embassy in Brazil website and look for the link "American Citizen Services". There you will be able to schedule an appointment over the Embassy to request this letter.

On the day of your appointment, you should take with you your passport, appointment confirmation (you are able to print it from the website right after you schedule it!) and AMERICAN DOLLARS (it costs around US$50 to issue this letter - IT MUST BE PAID IN US DOLLARS).

When you get to the consulate, don't wait on the long line. This line is only for brazilians that are applying for a visa. Go straight inside and look for the Citizen Services line, which is extremely short. If you have trouble to find it, just ask some security guard - they are really friendly and willing to help.

The letter gets ready right on the spot, you just have to wait couple minutes after talking to the consular agent.

***IMPORTANT NOTE Ask for the consular agent to issued the letter in PORTUGUESE. If he issues it in English you gonna have a lot of expenses to get it translated and stuff, apart from the waste of time. Furthermore, this letter is valid for ONLY 3 months - so make sure you will get married within this period of time otherwise you will need a new one.

2.3 - BIRTHCERTIFICATE AND PASSPORT (page with picture and info)

As these documents are in English you will need to have them translated by a SWORN TRANSLATOR (US Embassy website have a list of some of them divided by location).
Usually, you send an electronic copy of them to the translator e-mail. They will translate from that and by the time you meet to get the translation you have to take the originals so they can check it is not fake.
It will cost you around $150/$200 and it took us around a week to get ready.
For the birthcertificate, the translator will need to give it a little stamp on its back. They should stamp the ORIGINAL birthcertificate.
For the passport, you should take a copy of it as they can't stamp the original one.

***IMPORTANT NOTE Make sure the translation DOES NOT mention it was done from a copy of your document. Brazilian authorities will not accept the translation if it says it is from a copy. Nevertheless, the birthcertificate translation have to mention the very official brazilian sticker/stamp on the back of the original one (usually it comes as a note by the end of the translation). You might have problems with the translation if it doesn't mention the sticker.

2.4 - BIRTHCERTIFICATE, PASSPORT, LETTER OF SINGLE STATUS

Now that you have all your documents ready and translated, you have to get them registered in Brazil. To do that you need to go to the CARTORIO DE TITULOS E DOCUMENTOS of your city - you can find its locations on Google. Take with you the original documents and their translations. You will need to leave it all at the Cartorio.
In Sao Paulo, it takes 1 day for it to get ready. If you bring it in early in the morning, it is possible to get it done by the same day. You can also ask for URGENCY with no extra cost, so it can get done even faster if you bring it in in the morning or on the same day if you bring it in the early afternoon.
It will cost you around $200 to get it all registered and you have to pay it by the time you apply.
Whe  you get your documents back, they will have a bunch of stamps on their backs.

3) SETTING THE DATE OVER THE CARTORIO

You need to set your wedding over the Cartorio at least 30 days prior to the wedding date.

To set the date you need all the documents above, name/DOB/place of birth of your parents and 2 or more witnesses.

Witnesses need to know how to read/write and bring their photo ID.

Foreigners (groom/bride) need to bring their original passport along with a copy of it. Brazilians (groom/bride) need to bring their birthcertificate and photo ID.

If Cartorio staff notice the bride/groom do not speak portuguese, they might ask you to come back with a SWORN TRANSLATOR and not let you set the date. If you do not have a valid visa by the time of the wedding, you will not be eligible to get married.

Sponsored Links

sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 17:40
The translator part can, if you onlt get married to get married, and not for all the symbolism, be subverted by getting married by power of attorney.
DonVito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonVito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 18:53
Sven, Typically what does it cost to get married by power-of-attorney ?
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" - Vito Corleone
sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 18:56
Should be the same as getting a normal wedding + the value of the procuração pública registered in the cartorio.
Adierae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adierae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 19:51
I had my fiance ask if we needed a translator for our wedding since I am in the beginning stages of learning Portuguese and the lady was laughing at me. She said, "only if you want one" and "don't you trust your fiance." I was like "Really?" I have to have all these papers translated and I don't even need to speak Portuguese. We are get married in less than a month and just filed our papers 2 days ago.
We are getting married in Fortaleza. We only have to wait 15 day before we can marry. Also we have to have 3 witnesses. I didn't need to get a legal copy of my passport, but just a copy of the info page and my visa that they made at the cartorio for free. I also had to go to the federal police here in Fortaleza and get a document that says I am here in the country legally for 90 days from the day I entered.

This should really prove that people who want to get married in Brazil should check with their local cartorio. That's the only place that will have the correct answer. I have read multiple different post about getting married now and not one of them has been the same.

P.S. Good Luck! And Happily Ever After!

Edited by Adierae - 27 October 2011 at 19:53
samye&jesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samye&jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 10:37
Hi Adierae!

Well, brazilian law states that you need to speak portuguese in order to get married - so you can fully understand what the judge is telling you and stuff. However, as you might have noticed, not all our laws are really applied...

As I mentioned before, this "instruction" is for people in Sao Paulo. Jesse and I have been to 2 different Cartórios and they gave us the same information. I don't know if we were lucky or what :P But I strongly reccommend you to go to your very own Cartorio and ask for details.

We did not need a letter from Policia Federal. They accept the Visa itself and the little paper PF handed Jesse by the time he has entered the country.

Cheers!

:)
Adierae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adierae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 17:46
As I stated previously I have already asked the cartorio multiple times and my wedding date is already set. I was simply trying to making a point that just because this is how you did it doesn't mean it is how the next person is going to be able to do it. I was trying to worn other people who are going to read this from thinking this is exactly how you do it everywhere. Everyone needs to ask the cartorio where they are going to get married for their specific requirements.

Also, I am glad I had to go to the Federal Police before we get married because they explained the process of applying my permanent residency and the papers we need to bring. It's almost impossible to get them on the phone.
sven View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 07:46
Originally posted by samye&jesse samye&jesse wrote:

brazilian law states that you need to speak portuguese in order to get married

Oh and where does it do that?

The only thing that comes close is the code for civil procedure that states that the judge will provide a translator in some cases.
samye&jesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samye&jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 20:18
Well, Sven, that is what everyone that we have talked to in the Cartorios said - although the judge can speak other languages and might understand what the foreigner is saying, the law in my country states that the only language judges should speak in cases like that is portuguese.
But - of course - I guess you know better...
Ferguson21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferguson21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 22:14
This mountain of documents is ridiculous.

How do you know for example if the Brazilian is single and he/she is really the one of the birth certificate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic