Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Travel in Brazil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel to Belem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curzpemmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel to Belem
    Posted: 16 September 2011 at 23:57
I actually just made a website about traveling to belem. It is really different than most brasilian cities. I think the best part about living her honestly is the variety of foods! TO travel here is great though to get to see the amazon and beaches. Not the best city to live in, but great to visit!!

http://www.travelbelem.com/Belem/Welcome.html

i am not done with the site! please give me tips and suggestions!
Sponsored Links

curzpemmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curzpemmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 00:05
honestly though....if you are looking for beautiful women, i think caldas novas is a great place. If you are looking for a lot of fun things to do, Rio has a lot of variety. If you are a business man or are looking to shop a lot, Sao Paulo. If you are looking for a beautiful beach Fernando de Noronha.
Twirly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twirly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 11:03
Belem is a dump.
I hated every second I was working there.
Unfortunately I will have to go back there and work some more.
This is just my opinion though.
Would love to hear "I love Belem" stories from other members but I think they will be far between.
alandan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 17:44
Twirly - you need to be less diplomatic -no more sitting on the fence-let people know what you really think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curzpemmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 19:03
Yeah seriously...way to be honest. I do admit that there are a lot of problems in belem with politics and stuff, but in terms of natural beauty, there is a lot to get to see. I just wish the governor would invest more in tourism here. Thats what my goal is with the website! I know also if the worldcup were here, it would really help out the city....unfortunately Manaus got chosen over belem!
DUNGA View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUNGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 15:53
I have never been and my wife says it's rainy and a little stinky but I think there is good history there. I like to call it 'Belém do Pará', sounds better.
Ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 21:39

Originally posted by Twirly Twirly wrote:

Belem is a dump.

Twirly has a point ...

I was there about 3 years ago conducting research regarding exporting Acai to Miami. I stayed about 8 days. It was Religious Week, as they worshipped and cried in the streets over a small Jesus Doll on a moving platform carried by men dressed from Cro-Magnon ages ... People were going nuts in the streets crying and sweating over a Boneca or Doll of Jesus, maybe 3 feet high. It was amazing to witness this. However, in my opinion, Belem is dirty, very poor and humid. It's the only place I've ever been to witness a young 20 something woman in traffic completely nude begging for money.

However, Belem has one of the most amazing tourist attractions I've ever seen ... Estacion Das Doces or Station of Sweets. It’s an amazing refurbished early 1900s Ship Terminal Dock converted in to a beautiful row of restaurants downtown. Clean, organized and excellent food. I would go back if only for this place alone. And it's so romantic ... you must bring your wife or that special someone.

My $0.02

Have a wonderful evening everyone.

DUNGA View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUNGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 02:30
I would rather see "People [who] were going nuts in the streets crying and sweating over a Boneca or Doll of Jesus, maybe 3 feet high." than people staring into their I-Phones ... any day of the week. Why are we here?

Belem do Para sounds like a great place!!!

Edited by DUNGA - 20 September 2011 at 02:31
Fortaleza-Newf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fortaleza-Newf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 04:01
To each their own I guess. I was there in May as my girl is from there and I must admit I wasn't too overly impressed with the city itself at all.

Spent a few days out in Mosqueiro Island and it was real nice out there. The fish dish filhote is a real good one up there. Best in Brazil in my opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curzpemmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:26
Yeah, I agree about the Estacao das Docas. It's a super beautiful place. I was there yesterday actually. I do love mosqueiro also! Filhote is delicious, have you ever tried muqueca de peixe? It is fish in a coconut milk broth...super delicious!

About the naked homeless lady, I have lived here for 12 years and have maybe seen that three times. But I also saw that more than once living in Los Angeles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic