Gringoes.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Brazil > Vent Your Frustrations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elected Military Dictatorship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkij12185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elected Military Dictatorship
    Posted: 20 December 2010 at 18:27
I am starting to really wonder about what the government is doing in Rio, in the name of promoting public order.

They're removing a whole lot of people in Recreio, in a violent and ugly fashion and sending them out to areas of the city that are heavily controled by armed and aggressive militia.

It seems they're looking to remove all of the poor people by force and strangle out the middle class into Jacarepagua by removing all of the reasonably priced stores and serivces in order to create a neighborhood exclusively of the "elite".

Its obvious to most people that the need for the new BRT between Santa Cruz and Campo Grande and Recreio/Barra is not because of the Olympics.  If you're paying $100's for tickets, you're going the two hours by fancy bus from your hotel and not public transit.  Why do we need a new mega rodoviaria if we only have 4 bus lines that run once every 30min and not after midnight?  The only logical explination that people are coming to is that the government is planning to expell a whole lot of people, sending them into those areas, but will still need them to be able to get here for work.

The whole neighborhood has been on notice for 2 years, since Paes first ordered a building knocked down because someone slapped him across the face. You'd think that would be impossible, right? Basically, they stopped allowing people (rich, middle class and poor) from "legalizing" their houses and can come in and knock them down anytime.

During this time, they allowed members of the militia to continue to build where ever they wanted, creating a real mess that annoys people.  They also cut a bus line this year and asked Pegasso to transfer all their good busses to the Campo Grande line so busses from Recreio are always breaking (we're talking 2-3 times a week just while Im on them) As a result, much of the neighborhood is cheering the removal of the poor, even those who have been here 30years. More people are turning to cars and demandning a solution to the traffic.

In the last two months, they came in, unannounced and started knocking down homes. Unbenounced to most of the neighborhood, Amnesty International was here and has been publishing international petitions without speaking to anyone in the rest of the neighborhood.  I got one because in English because I'm a gringa, not because I live here.  Their claiming its because of the Olympics, but there is no way that their excuse for removing one of the communities holds water. When you go there and look at what their planning to do, its just not feasible (its also not on any of the transoeste propaganda, and the plans aren't being shared with the public)

Apparently, Paes went on tv last week talking about completing Larceda's plans, creating a new hotel district in Recreio (for which hundreds of buildings will be removed) and the are rumors that we are a few months from a new Alvorada replacing 80-100 buildings in the terrierao.

Its truly insane.  And of course, I can't get any solid information anywhere.  There is the occassional blurb in o Globo and the distorted reports from Amnesty International about specific people and incidents within a few of the neighbhorhods at most eminent risk that are reprinted and further distorted by protest organizations such as FIST, but in few other spots.

Really, this is right down the street.  Why the hell can't I find anything out? How do they pass these plans without talking anyone in the area?  How does Amnesty International come in and not tell anybody whats going on in the neighborhood while making an international appeal for justice? Why do I get more say as a foreigner than a resident of a relatively comfortable neighborhood? How can people be so ignorant and easily manipulated?

Sometimes I really miss town hall meetings and actual democracy.  Part of me hopes that someday I'll learn to be Brazilian, content with my situation in life and deaf and blind to the rest.  The other part of me is really scared of that happening.

Edited by nikkij12185 - 20 December 2010 at 18:28
Sponsored Links

peter caplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter caplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2010 at 18:58
nikkij -
   I just came across these two blogs and a website that may be relevant (but I don't know who's behind them)

http://www.rocinha.org/blog/
      http://visaodafavelabr.blogspot.com/
      http://www.rocinha.org/

If you haven't already encountered them, maybe they will help you out a bit.
Good luck.
Pedro - Washington/São Paulo
JaqueChristos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaqueChristos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 08:44
I refuse to talk about Brasil politics. I have enough problems of my own with my country, Australia. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaqueChristos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 08:50
Come to Floripá!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaqueChristos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 08:54
"How can people be so ignorant and easily manipulated?"

Open the book of John, and Matthew, and read them. Just read them, thats all you have yet to do.
DUNGA View Drop Down
Gringoes.com Guru
Gringoes.com Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUNGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 09:59
Originally posted by JaqueChristos JaqueChristos wrote:

I refuse to talk about Brasil politics.
Please!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaqueChristos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 10:19
Originally posted by DUNGA DUNGA wrote:

Please!

Well its not my problem. Its yours. I only live here. And further, under amnesty I am not even allowed to vote - I got the message.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaqueChristos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 10:21
Originally posted by DUNGA DUNGA wrote:

Please!

Well brasil is alot like Argentina in the control stucture, which is alot like the United States.

There are means to control your politics locally, within your own village (and I recommend Brasil for village living not city).

But if you want to cut the head off then dont even bother with Brasil. It is all in Washington, and then the rest of it is in Tel Aviv.
nikkij12185 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkij12185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 11:32
Thanks Peter,

There are others like SOS Favela, Viva Favela, Amnesty International, reporting specifically on whats going on in our neighborhood but they all show a very warped view.

They interview the person who cries the most/the loudest (how can anyone be objective when their house is being torn down) and has an agenda.  They want to show it as part of an attempt by the government to look pretty for the foreigners in the olympics, but that just doesn't make sense for what's going on here (especially since actual removals started before the olympics were even on the table).

The lack of information really pisses me off.  Basically, we know what's going on here because someone goes up and ASKS a construction worker or person sitting on the street crying during contruction or removal and then posts what they said on orkut.  They don't share the plans before hand and by the time any public debate can start the workers disappear again and reappear a month or two later on the otherside of the neighborhood doing something else and restarting the cycle of confusion, orkut, dissappear.

You'd think removing several hundred BUILDINGS and thousands of families in a neighborhood of only a 100,000 (mostly middle and upperclass) would warrent some kind of conversation, some kind of public opinion sampling or at least an announcement of what they're doing. But no, this is Rio and the PMDB does whatever the hell it wants.
nikkij12185 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkij12185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 12:04
http://www.portogente.com.br/texto.php?cod=37855

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2010/12/19/transoeste-obra-de-brt-demolira-cerca-de-50-templos-923324846.asp

I went to this meeting mentioned in the second article.  There were people with "legally" built houses from other parts of the neighborhood, and people from other areas under threat of removal there as well.

The main discussion among attendees was whether or not the city was trying to reorganize Recreio and other areas, removing certain classes and worries about sending people off into militia controled areas.  Yet the two hours we were there with Globo reporters present is reduced to 50 temples are getting destroyed for the road.

The biggest problem the religious leaders voiced was that non-mainstream religious temples (such as terreiros de macumba) where being marked, literally covered in big paint letters, as "commerce" and destroyed as such with less then 24 hours notice and no time to properly treat the religious aspect of the sacred space and the "spirits" which call it home.

No discussion and no open reporting.

Edited by nikkij12185 - 21 December 2010 at 12:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic